Author Topic: Z50 + Jupiter12  (Read 2852 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z50 + Jupiter12
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 14:33:58 »
The rendition of red color is impressive, especially the window frames in the first image.  Is that part of the characteristic of the lens?  The overall image quality on an APS-C format looks admirable.

I was surprised by the red color as well. I did not make any color adjustments (as I remember).
The "crane image" also shows nice red color but not as pronounced as the other image.
So I think it may be a characteristic of the lens. I can look back and check if I did some color adjustments.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 14:36:01 »
Thanks for these useful info/advice.

This device seems to be very useful for street photography.

I am tempted to get one, but I bought recently a Nikon 500mm PF, so I try not to get  a '' purchase addiction'' ! ;D.

Also I am very interested with the possibity to read exiffs about f/stops.

There's a big difference of price between different versions, tough.
Francis Devrainne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2021, 14:41:28 »
I was surprised by the red color as well. I did not make any color adjustments (as I remember).
The "crane image" also shows nice red color but not as pronounced as the other image.
So I think it may be a characteristic of the lens. I can look back and check if I did some color adjustments.

Thank you for the details.  Yes, the red parts of the cranes look brilliant as well.  You really found a nice lens for Z50.  Congratulations!  Hope you continue to enjoy the combo.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 14:58:32 »
The compo J12 and Z50 is very compact and with vintage MF lenses it is so much easier to use the AF adapter and AF focus points can be selected.
I found one more image of the red windows frames and only adjustment is for contrast sliding the right edge of histogram a bit the left to have "full spectrum".

Almost all my FSU lenses are from a person I knew which at that time was located in Kiev and he had a close relation to the Arsenal factory so I got nice lens samples.
Seems the J12 sample is nice. I also have an older version in "Contax" mount. Was told that the older "white" versions where the most consistent regarding quality of assembly.
But some black samples are good as well......

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 15:07:36 »
And here a 100% crop now I have the image in NX-Studio.
NX-Studio works better after I upgraded to latest version.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 15:35:20 »
Now I got inspired and after upgrading the adapter with latest v. 3.0 firmware I put on the latest version of the 50/2.8 collapsible M Elmar. I forgot I had such a lens. Can't remember why I got it.
I think on a cropped sensor it may perform as good as the vintage DR Summicron. It can collapse without any damage of the body.

I have an important correction regarding if 50/2.8 Elmar can be collapsed without any damage. It can do damage!!
Not that I damaged anything but I re-checked and my Elmar can collapse more than I initially thought. So it can collapse so the rear part can touch the body. So don't do that!!
Don't know if Megadap warn about this now they have made the adapter for M-mount.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 23:08:35 »
I wonder how the PRONTO will perform, compared to the megadap.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/11/05/fotodiox-pronto-lm-nkz-prn-autofocus-lens-adapter-now-available-leica-m-lens-→-nikon-z-mount-camera.aspx/

One thing is for sure - it's an ugly beast!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 23:40:56 »
I have an important correction regarding if 50/2.8 Elmar can be collapsed without any damage. It can do damage!!
Not that I damaged anything but I re-checked and my Elmar can collapse more than I initially thought. So it can collapse so the rear part can touch the body. So don't do that!!
Don't know if Megadap warn about this now they have made the adapter for M-mount.

Russian old lenses seem to suffer from huge sample variation.  Yesterday I received the fourth sample of Industar-50, a tiny 50mm f3.5 lens.  All three previous samples showed noticeable oblique optical axis or uneven field curvature.  But the fourth one, advertised as "serviced" shows no unbalanced rendition over the entire full frame in my SIGMA fp.  Finally I've got an f3.5 Tessar-type lens I had hoped for!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2021, 19:28:44 »
I wonder how the PRONTO will perform, compared to the megadap.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/11/05/fotodiox-pronto-lm-nkz-prn-autofocus-lens-adapter-now-available-leica-m-lens-→-nikon-z-mount-camera.aspx/

One thing is for sure - it's an ugly beast!

It seems the Pronto has a feature so the adapter can be set to closets focus distance so it is fixed in that position. Can be useful for close-ups and if native lens is also set to the near-limit the adapter will act like a small extender. It should be a matter of firmware upgrade to the Megadap to implement such a function if it is not already there.

But interesting to compare focus speed between the two adapters.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2021, 19:47:30 »
Russian old lenses seem to suffer from huge sample variation.  Yesterday I received the fourth sample of Industar-50, a tiny 50mm f3.5 lens.  All three previous samples showed noticeable oblique optical axis or uneven field curvature.  But the fourth one, advertised as "serviced" shows no unbalanced rendition over the entire full frame in my SIGMA fp.  Finally I've got an f3.5 Tessar-type lens I had hoped for!

The good Russian lenses can be quite good. As I recall I don't see much CA using Russian lenses?
Some has a bit soft corners. Some of it is due to field curvature like the Jupiter-3 (50/1.5). It seems corners has focus closer if focus is at the center. So it may look worse then it is.
Here an example of the J-3 on Megadap. Focus is at center where it is quite sharp (100% crop). If I look at the corners then focus is a bit closer. So lens far from flat field. Think this lens is used to utilize a special Bokeh. First time I see how it performs but I assume I have got nice samples :-)    .....this lens was for pure collection as it sits on a Kiev rangefinder. For general purpose I think a Jupiter-8 may be a better option.....if not for the special J-3 bokeh.
The J-3 was stopped down a bit (same aperture as can se seen in picture of the lens). At 1.5 center is still quite sharp but corners not in focus.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2021, 20:35:09 »
The Jupiter-3 may have some justification for portraits wide open it seems. This test shot was shot at 1.5 and I think bokeh could be quite nice if "used for real".
The trick is to hit exact focus at the eye. Think I need smaller focus points or more light to achieve this.
Focus is a bit front of the eye. But trolls like to tease?    ......it is probably a Norwegian troll.....
Think lens would be sharp enough at 1.5 for portraits.