Author Topic: Sony Alpha a1 Mirrorless Digital Camera  (Read 2930 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Sony Alpha a1 Mirrorless Digital Camera
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 00:02:56 »
I hear what you folks are saying. I should wait.

Yet, I am going to sell my FS5 Siny XDCAM, the 18-105 lens, batteries, etc.

Also, the Atomos Shogun Inferno, 2 1TB Angelbird SSDs, and batteries, etc.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 00:08:36 »
However, another consideration is focal plane - sensor parallelism.  This is already an issue in some cases given today's manufacturing tolerances, and adding an adapter adds two more surfaces that can be out of alignment.  That's why I'm mostly sticking with my D850 for my quality F-mount lenses (best Nikkors plus Zeiss and Sigma) for landscape use.

Interesting article here that is well worth reading: Link

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 23:21:41 »
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 11:05:03 »
Thom Hogan is right imo. Also, I really don't understand the fear of missing out that hits the photographic community when new technology is announced.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 16:53:51 »
Also, I really don't understand the fear of missing out that hits the photographic community when new technology is announced.
+1

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 19:25:26 »
I agree, Luc!

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 04:07:42 »
I concur at 200% with all earlier replies. These are exciting times (and tempting!) but unless mandated there is 0 reason to rush out buying these new $$$ cameras.
See also Hogan's latest on the sweet spot https://bythom.com/newsviews/the-sweet-spot-is-still.html
as well as interesting ideas on the DSLR->Mirrorless transition https://bythom.com/newsviews/thoms-product-plans-for-the.html
Another Austrian Terminator in California

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 06:17:58 »
Am I ever behind the 8-Ball? I just bought a Nikon D850 which is now a cash cow.

Dave

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 06:40:10 »
I also just bought a D850 on sale. I haven't put it to use yet but I will as soon as I start going out farther from home.  If you want to do landscape and nature photography it's still an amazing camera.

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 09:39:41 »
Hold your horses.
Nikon Rumors announced a Z9 and Z8

Probably huge sensor aka sony and double card and articulated reverse screen aka canon and hopefully integrated double battery holder for vertical shooting or maybe not?

But cannit brown my toast?

I am working on a new photography invention whereby you use your mobile to shoot anything anywhere as you are linked to a sattelite and view the scene on your screen and compose at will. Press the shutter and voila, the RAW or Jpeg is downloaded to yout mobile or cloud server. Welcome to the 21st century.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 11:49:47 »
I see the importance of Megapixels for Michael's work, but for my type of photography, I do not need more than 24MP. To me 24MP full-frame sensors strike an excellent balance between reflecting light and detail.

When a new camera or lens is announced I am tempted to buy it, thinking it will improve my photos and photography. Yet, the photos that appeal most to me are photos with a strong emotional value rather than technical excellence. I recently purchased the book "Modern Color" about Fred Herzog's pioneering with color photographs. He started with a Zeiss Tesslar, followed by a Leica M3 and later Nikon F. He used Kodachrome film. Photos lack the contrast of modern photographic systems, but I love the gentle colors and - above all - the careful composition and selection of the scenery.

I now try to adopt a “Less Is More” philosophy to resist constantly switching gear, which is difficult because I suffer from GAS ;-)
Peter