Gear Talk > Camera Talk

D5 - long term experience?

(1/6) > >>

Frode:
For those of you that have used the D5 for "a longer" time, what experiences regarding exposure, AF, or others, do you think is worth mentioning?

Right after a release there's often many opinions regarding "this and that", also by people who have not tried the product  :). So for you that have used the camera over a longer period, what do you say?

Thanks!

MFloyd:
Had two D5; first on March 30, 2016 and the last sold mid-December 2020. One body has been replaced by a D6 in June last year. What to say ? Excellent body, but the D6 does everything better.

NB: your question is so broad that I’m afraid you will have very few replies. Be more specific.

Frode:

--- Quote from: MFloyd on January 19, 2021, 06:13:58 ---Had two D5; first on March 30, 2016 and the last sold mid-December 2020. One body has been replaced by a D6 in June last year. What to say ? Excellent body, but the D6 does everything better.

NB: your question is so broad that I’m afraid you will have very few replies. Be more specific.

--- End quote ---

Thank you  :).

Regarding exposure, I’m thinking about the dynamic range at low iso and how to deal with it - any adjustment in camera? Or is it not a «problem»?

Regarding AF; any mode you prefer for different type of scenarios? What settings (focus lock- on)? Or does the renommended settings from Nikon (pro pdf) do the trick?

MFloyd:
Re dynamic range (DR) I had never a problem, and I’m very often photographing dynamic situations. I know this has been mentioned i.e. even a lower DR than the D4s. For your info, I have also a D850, a good benchmark.

For the second question, this largely depends what you are photographing. I’m a sport photographer very active in car racing. Grouped AF is my most used one. But I know a person, very proficient in bird photography, using Auto mode as his favorite.

Sample:

_D566202.jpg

Frode:

--- Quote from: MFloyd on January 19, 2021, 08:09:43 ---Re dynamic range (DR) I had never a problem, and I’m very often photographing dynamic situations. I know this has been mentioned i.e. even a lower DR than the D4s. For your info, I have also a D850, a good benchmark.

For the second question, this largely depends what you are photographing. I’m a sport photographer very active in car racing. Grouped AF is my most used one. But I know a person, very proficient in bird photography, using Auto mode as his favorite.

Sample:

_D566202.jpg

--- End quote ---

Nice picture  :)!

I bought a D5 a while ago, but for different reasons I traded it in for a D850 after a short while.

D850 is a great camera (!), but now my use benefit from the D5 and it’s better AF (locks and tracks better in my opinion). Therefore my questions  :).

I’ve read that some have fine tuned the exposure modes (- 1/3) in order to cope with the reduced DR (tend to overexpose the highlights by default (?). I understand the D5 does not have invariant iso, so ETTR?

Re AF; BIF and football. Sudden and unpredictably  movements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version