Author Topic: Nikkor AFD 20mm - glue separation suspected  (Read 2733 times)

kkolehma

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikkor AFD 20mm - glue separation suspected
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 21:08:13 »
This has come up before here, but I'll mention it again.  I have a 20 mm AFD lens which had a fogging problem in the glued element.  Apparently for at least a short run Nikon used some unusual cement here, and it's not easy to fix.  My local repairman did some research and determined that regular balsam was a not used.  I tried getting a new element from China using the Nikon part number, but the wrong part came, and I despaired of being able to get the right one from their nearly indecipherable site, if it even existed.
I am struggling with similar issue. Would you happen to have the part number and the site you found the wrong part still written down some where? I would appreciate that information a lot!

Cheers

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 22:47:52 »
I am struggling with similar issue. Would you happen to have the part number and the site you found the wrong part still written down some where? I would appreciate that information a lot!

Cheers

Hi,
Like it was said, it seems like my sample did not have issues at all. Pictures seemed to be OK.
Cheers,
Zang

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 22:49:44 »
Sorry, I notice now you quoted Matt...

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 04:12:52 »

Cheers
I still have the piece somewhere, I think, but cannot come up with it right away.  I got it from Ali Baba in China, as I recall.  The part number I got was from a technician who looked it up in a diagram, and I did a web search, found an ad for that very part number, but when it came, it was for a different element.  If I find it I'll let you know, but must caution that my stuff is in a bit of a mess, and it may not appear soon if at all.  Will look, though.

The computer on which I made the order underwent a total drive crash, and lost everything, so no recovery there, I'm afraid.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 21:43:23 »
I don't have the order, but I found the part (that is, the wrong part), in its box.  It appears to be a single lens, with a surround, approximately 21 cm in diameter.  The part number on the label on one side of the box says "1B100-498-2," which my dim recollection was the part number I ordered.  But on the other side of the box, it says "1b100-4?(torn cardboard and possible run off end of box)- A407-1"  I suspect that's the part that's actually in there.  The part I hoped to get is a smaller diameter glued-up doublet.  As I think I mentioned earlier, the attempt by an intrepid repairman to unglue and reglue looked successful but altered the refractive index and the lens came out clear but soft.

As I say, the link to the site disappeared, I'm pretty sure, with a drive crash, though I'll look later to see if I have any record remaining of the order.

If, by some chance, the part I do have is something you need, let me know, and if mailing to wherever you are is possible, I can gladly do so.  But I'm off for a week or so at the end of this week, so there might be a delay. I'll keep looking for records, but don't think much will appear.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2022, 21:54:45 »
This dpr post mentions that the part number is for a different element …. I think!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3808906

By the way, I have only heard good things about this chap in Taiwan - though I have never used his services. He tends to quote $150 as a base repair fee, which may go up depending on the the lens.

http://lens-cla.blogspot.com/2014/01/nikon-af-nikkor-20mm-f28-d-lens-group.html
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 17:12:19 »
The dpr post explains a lot, since the repairman who gave me the part number probably used the same Nikon source, which appears to be wrong.  So, it seems, Ali Baba probably sent the part number I asked for.  If that is the case, perhaps they have the right one.  I don't remember just how I found the link originally, but I do remember that by searching long enough for the part number, I found a link that led to China, and the part was inexpensive and did come. 

As I said, the repairman I dealt with did manage to get the elements apart, cleaned, and re-glued with what he hoped was the correct adhesive - something more modern than balsam - and the result was disappointing, apparently with enough difference in refractive index that, though it looked not too bad at a distance, it was unacceptably soft when looked at up close.  Reinforcing my reason for taking gear to him over many years, he ate the repair cost, which included initial disassembly to diagnose, and another disassembly and reassembly for the repair.

I do hope that it's possible to acquire the correct part if the number itself can be accurately found.  Or, perhaps, to consult the fellow in Taiwan.  I'm giving mine a rest, since I have a couple of other options that work well enough on the D7100, but keep it as a body cap on another old Nikon, hoping that something will turn up unexpectedly.