Author Topic: Using 60mm 2.8d  (Read 1156 times)

vashok1

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Using 60mm 2.8d
« on: February 27, 2021, 12:08:27 »
Hi all
So, I have a cleaned up 60mm 2.8d lens mounted on d7500, all set to take the flowers and butterflies :). And my first experience with shooting with any macro lens is turning out to be big learning curve.

The focussing is not so easy. Depth of field is too razor thin to get focus right. Auto focus is slow.

I will take my sweet time to learn, I am sure.

So I tried manual and it really makes it harder.

One doubt I have on this lens is it does not go all the way out, until I switch to manual focus. Is that expected ?

Thank you all.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Using 60mm 2.8d
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 20:35:43 »
One doubt I have on this lens is it does not go all the way out, until I switch to manual focus. Is that expected ?

Check the position of the Full/Limit switch. It's probably set to Limit.

---

AF or manual focus or both?

When hand holding it may be useful to use AF-S (single servo focus) or AF-C (continuous servo focus). I use AF-C with the AF-ON button and disable AF at the shutter release. It's much like the logic used (or should I say reflexes used) with manual focus lenses. I press the AF-ON button to focus and release to lock. Then I will move the camera slightly towards or away from the subject to obtain the exact focus I want. I often miss the exact focus so I'll take several shot and delete those where I missed the focus point intended. For close-up I avoid apertures smaller than f/16 as diffraction can easily make the subject a bit mushy.

On a tripod I normally use only manual focus for close-up and macro. I use a macro slider (actually a Wimberley C-30 Arca-Swiss clamp). The fancy macro sliders or focus racks are beyond my budget.

Best,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 21:25:42 »
The focussing is not so easy. Depth of field is too razor thin to get focus right. Auto focus is slow.

If you can keep the focus point on the intended subject then using AF-C may increase the number of properly focus shots. This works if the subject is moving also. With the extremely shallow DoF when shooting close-up and macro body sway can easily blow the focus. A tripod can eliminate this problem but a tripod can't always be used.

Again try taking several shots, choose the best and later delete the miss focused shots.

Dave

Have I read this topic 62 70 118 123 times looking for typos in my replies or is everyone tongue tied?

One hundred and twenty three have read this discussion and no one is posting? Must be the night of the living dead!  ???

vashok1

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 14:48:02 »
Thank you. I will sure try these options.

My lens does not auto focus at minimum distance. Probably a problem with the lens?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 05:29:20 »
Thank you. I will sure try these options.

My lens does not auto focus at minimum distance. Probably a problem with the lens?

Try to focus by moving the camera to and from the subject. Then if it's close to being in focus and you half press the shutter release does it start up and focus? Try a half press, release and then half press again. Does that start the focus? Does your camera have an AF-ON button? If so try the AF-ON button.

I own an AF 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor. It's the same lens but without the "D" or distance feature. I'm not at home or I'd give it a spin and check for any quirks. I don't know why it would focus at distance and not close-up unless it's so far out of focus stalls? I would think if the camera can't find anything to focus on it would hunt until it finds something.

If the distance from the lens to your subject is too close it may stall. This is the kind of thing I'd just do and without my lens I'm stumped.

Dave

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 09:14:52 »
The first thing is to get used of your macro lens. And so is recommended to avoid too close subjects at the beginning.

The  closer you are focusing, the thinner is the depth of field., and this is not easy to manage when you use a new macro lens.

Secondly, using AF mode is not really needed, mostly when you want to spot a detail in your image, but this is my own opinion, not everybody will share it !

This is why most of macrophotographers are using manual lenses.

Thirdly, you will notice that your micro 60mm will reach certain limits when you want to shoot shy insects like butterfly. You will quickly considering to acquire a longer focal lens like 105mm and more.

however, you can obtain honest results using a normal telelens inserting a thin extension ring between camera body and lens, so you reduce the closest working distance of your lens, and you can get a decent size of your subject without approaching too close.

Thus, I could take pitures of unapproachable butterfies with a...500mm lens !
Francis Devrainne

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 20:48:45 »

I still haven't been home to get out my AF 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor. I'm going to guess that nothing is wrong with the lens. I think this is a good guess. If I remember correctly my D300s and AF 60/2.8 Micro could get hung up and refuse to focus at close range. If this happens with your camera and lens switch to manual focus and use the focus ring to set the image ratio then focus by moving the camera to and from your chosen point of prime focus.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 07:13:49 »
Last night I was taking photos for a friend with her Nikon D300 and my AF-S 105/2.8G ED-IF VR Micro-Nikkor. I was in the close-up range. I forgot how much the D300/D300s could struggle to focus under poor light. I switched to manual focus. Her camera had a diopter setting for her eyes. It was really difficult to get a useful photo but I finally managed to get one.