Gear Talk > Camera Talk

The D500 v. D850 for those who own or have owned both?

<< < (2/6) > >>

David H. Hartman:

--- Quote from: MFloyd on December 30, 2020, 00:56:18 ---You could do Rollei-like pictures with a D850.

--- End quote ---

Any idea what the shutter lag times might be?

MFloyd:

--- Quote from: David H. Hartman on January 01, 2021, 05:58:20 ---Any idea what the shutter lag times might be?

--- End quote ---

No idea. I’m using the back screen mostly for landscape or macro situations where lag time plays a no role. From time to time, I also use the back screen for shooting live situations from an angle difficult or impossible to shoot from the OVF finder (eg racing pilot in the (crammed) car cockpit).

But yes, it would be interesting to know.

I found this on the net:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850A6.HTM

Ilkka Nissilä:

--- Quote from: MFloyd on January 01, 2021, 06:16:17 ---No idea. I’m using the back screen mostly for landscape or macro situations where lag time plays a no role. From time to time, I also use the back screen for shooting live situations from an angle difficult or impossible to shoot from the OVF finder (eg racing pilot in the (crammed) car cockpit).

But yes, it would be interesting to know.

I found this on the net:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850A6.HTM

--- End quote ---

In principle, with EFCS, shutter lag can be shorter in LV than it is with (DSLR optical) viewfinder photography or with mechanical front curtain shutter. This is typically the case with mirrorless cameras.

I wonder if imaging resource considered EFCS use in LV as it could potentially lead to significantly shorter shutter lag (in the prefocused case). (I don't know if this is the case with the D850.)

MILLIREHM:
I have got both the D500 and the D850 and they form a good couple but I would not consider them as a backup (depending on what you shoot). If you use the D850 for full-format wide- angle with FX lenses, then the D500 is not a good backup. It's good to combine them for supertele-photography. The D500 crops the format, and the D850 can be switched to DX with approximately the same pixel density and back to FX easily. That makes you see what's around the frame which is sometimes useful - and if you need the crop anyway the camera is clearing the buffer earlier (compared to write full format images that could be cropped later). Most of the times I find it more useful to have the DX frame fill the D500s viewfinder and the AF-fields cover a larger part of the frame. The AF system is the same, the D850 needs the battery pack plus EN-EL18x to reach 9fps. The D500 reaches its 10fps without battery pack and just with the small EN-El15xbatteries. Together with the 80-400 AF-S or the 200-500 Nikkor (or the 500 PF if I owned it) it forms a rather lightweight combo suitable for hiking and travel. Since I have got the D500 I have enhanced my options and can do supertele shots (even more "range" given by crop factor) and have full AF and fps speed on board even in thes situations. The D500 has got no AA filter (as the D850 and D800E) - so far i did not observe relevant Moiré effects but that might differ when shooting habits are different

David H. Hartman:
At this point I need to figure out how to sell my D850 D800 and a few other items and then watch the price on the D500. It would be nice if it would drop a bit more as the D850 D800 did briefly.

It's true a DX camera can't truly backup an FX camera but if the FX is lost, stolen or in for repairs a DX camera is there as a photographic tool.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version