Gear Talk > Camera Talk

The D500 v. D850 for those who own or have owned both?

(1/5) > >>

David H. Hartman:
The D500 v. D850 for those who own or have owned both? Not witch should I buy but will the D500 be a good backup for the D850 and vice versa? 

---

The D500 and D850 are pretty mature in the market. I just bought a Nikon D850 and have the custom settings all worked out. I’m very impressed and wish I could have bought the D850 sooner but I had to wait until I could buy it with a savings of $800.00 (USD). Now if I can sell somethings I hope I can buy a camera for a backup to the D850.

Last night I was comparing D850 images with D800 images and I can’t see using my D800 again except if I loose the use of my D850.  The lack of an AA filter with the D850 is a major plus for me. Fine detail with relatively low contrast is great with the D850. The D800 with its AA filter doesn’t come close. From a couple of sources I understand that the D500 does not have an AA filter or optical low-pass filter). Is this correct?

Despite having no AA filter the D850 scarcely shows any color moiré in the gray feathers of a friend’s cockatoo. I used color moiré reduction constantly with my D800 in Nikon Capture NX-D particularly at higher ISO(s). I’m wondering about the D500, fine detail at low contrast and color moiré. Am I likely to be as pleased with the D500 in this regard and I am with the D850?

In general how do the D500 and D850 compliment each other?

Thank you for considering this.

Dave

I hope I’m not asking too many dumb questions. I tried searching using advanced search for hits here at Nikon Gear.

I'm not considering mirroless as that would require a new set of lenses, at lease a normal lens, mid-range zoom and an FTZ adapter. Also I  already own may F-mount Nikkors.

Frank Fremerey:

--- Quote from: David H. Hartman on December 28, 2020, 22:55:32 ---The D500 v. D850 for those who own or have owned both? Not witch should I buy but will the D500 be a good backup for the D850 and vice versa? 

---

The D500 and D850 are pretty mature in the market. I just bought a Nikon D850 and have the custom settings all worked out. I’m very impressed and wish I could have bought the D850 sooner but I had to wait until I could buy it with a savings of $800.00 (USD). Now if I can sell somethings I hope I can buy a camera for a backup to the D850.

Last night I was comparing D850 images with D800 images and I can’t see using my D800 again except if I loose the use of my D850.  The lack of an AA filter with the D850 is a major plus for me. Fine detail with relatively low contrast is great with the D850. The D800 with its AA filter doesn’t come close. From a couple of sources I understand that the D500 does not have an AA filter or optical low-pass filter). Is this correct?

Despite having no AA filter the D850 scarcely shows any color moiré in the gray feathers of a friend’s cockatoo. I used color moiré reduction constantly with my D800 in Nikon Capture NX-D particularly at higher ISO(s). I’m wondering about the D500, fine detail at low contrast and color moiré. Am I likely to be as pleased with the D500 in this regard and I am with the D850?

In general how do the D500 and D850 compliment each other?

Thank you for considering this.

Dave

I hope I’m not asking too many dumb questions. I tried searching using advanced search for hits here at Nikon Gear.

I'm not considering mirroless as that would require a new set of lenses, at lease a normal lens, mid-range zoom and an FTZ adapter. Also I  already own may F-mount Nikkors.

--- End quote ---

I still own both and will keep them both. Both are great cameras. The one cannot replace the other. For me the D500 was an upgrade from the D3 sports and action camera and still is. D500 phantastic bang for the buck. Generally totally underestimated superb camera. A real love affair.

The D850 is an expensive more universal tool with the best color resolving power I have ever seen esp at ISO64. A slow food and tripod tool that I also use for reportage because she is fast and responsive. Downside: Chroma Noise at high ISO.

Perfect addition as a third body was the Z6. Silent operation and superhigh ISO ... very nice as a third body and for adapting anythig and everything to it

Fons Baerken:

--- Quote from: Frank Fremerey on December 29, 2020, 12:17:04 ---I still own both and will keep them both. Both are great cameras. The one cannot replace the other. For me the D500 was an upgrade from the D3 sports and action camera and still is. D500 phantastic bang for the buck. Generally totally underestimated superb camera. A real love affair.

The D850 is an expensive more universal tool with the best color resolving power I have ever seen esp at ISO64. A slow food and tripod tool that I also use for reportage because she is fast and responsive. Downside: Chroma Noise at high ISO.

Perfect addition as a third body was the Z6. Silent operation and superhigh ISO ... very nice as a third body and for adapting anythig and everything to it

--- End quote ---

I agree here with Frank the d500 (esp with the 17-55mm/2.8 is a great option very snappy and responsive i enjoyed it a lot but sold to finance the purchase of the Z6, but is incomparable to the d500 for that matter.

David H. Hartman:
Thank you for the replies. I'll have to see if I can sell enough to buy a D500 on closeout.

Dave

---

--- Quote from: Frank Fremerey on December 29, 2020, 12:17:04 ---Perfect addition as a third body was the Z6. Silent operation and superhigh ISO ... very nice as a third body and for adapting anythig and everything to it

--- End quote ---

I wish I could consider seriously a Nikon mirrorless. I always wanted a Leica M4 for candid photos of people as it was so quiet. Mirrorless would do the same and more. The tilting LCD would give more unobtrusive opportunities as pointing a camera at eye level is experienced by subject as more aggressive. I owned a Rollie 80/2.8 Xenotar and loved the way people ignored me while photographing them. It was difficult for me to focus so working was slow.

A Z6 II would be great with maybe a mid-range zoom and an FTZ adapter. I'll probably never be able to afford one.

Dave

MFloyd:
You could do Rollei-like pictures with a D850.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version