Author Topic: Nikon FM PC synch cap  (Read 1757 times)

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
Nikon FM PC synch cap
« on: July 02, 2021, 00:26:19 »
Yes that pesky little cap that is always coming loose and going missing.

Can anyone with an FM or variant and one of these other cameras verify that the caps are the same? Assuming of course that you have a cap!

Digital SLRs -  D200,  D1 / D1h / D1x,  D2 / D2H / D2Hs / D2X, FUJI   S3 S5 Pro
Film SLRs -  F5,  F100, F90 / F90x, N90 / N90x

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon FM PC synch cap
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 01:03:01 »
I do not believe those PC sync caps changed from the Nikon F2 through the FM and FE families and on to the F3 and F5. I don't have cameras here to check. I can do that later.

Dave

Wait I'm missing the question and talking trash. Maybe I can redeem myself by reading Nikon camera manuals. :-[

From manuals and memory the D2H had one of those caps with the same threads but a different external style. I don't own a D2H anymore. The D300s has a rubber cover but the PC sync terminal must have the same threads for a threaded Nikon PC sync cable. I'm pretty sure any/most Nikons with a simple PC terminal will be threaded with the same thread for a Nikon PC sync cable. If they don't have a rubber cover then the caps from any should fit.

By physical inspection the F3 has the old style screw in cap while my D850 and D800 have a simple PC terminal with a rubber cover and the same threads for a threaded Nikon PC sync cable.

Film at Eleven!
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 02:03:37 »
In the words of Lex Jenkins: "If I can be brilliant at least I can be verbose."

Dave

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 03:05:17 »
The original cap on an F100 is threaded, if that is of any use to know. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 08:35:09 »
Those annoying caps are always the first thing to throw away when I get a new camera. The hotshoe cover follows suit immediately.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 08:37:00 »
The Mir site always has a lot of reference images and brochures, I have only seen two styles as Dave points out they changed at a late point in time

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm/index.htm
Erik Lund

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 10:09:24 »
Thanks all - it seems safe to get one that is only advertised for the later cameras  :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 17:54:19 »
Thanks all - it seems safe to get one that is only advertised for the later cameras  :)

Chris,

If you are planing to leave the cap on all the time, tighten it by hand quite firmly and it should stay in place. If you need to take the cap off to use the PC terminal then maybe buy a dozen. :)

Years ago I took the PC sync caps off and saved them somewhere. Later I used the hot shoe and a radio trigger system (Phottix Strato II) for studio systems so now I never use PC cords. Tightening those caps firmly in place worked for me.

Dave

If any here still use PC cords I recommend the Paramount PC Tip Conditioner Plus but they look to be discontinued. In the day they worked better than teeth.

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 20:59:23 »
Since going to radio control of my strobes I do not use the PC cord anymore. However I still keep the cord just in case there is a problem with the transmitter or the replacement battery is no good.

Dave is right that the Paramount PC tip conditioner can be recommended. It appears to still be available directly through Paramount. https://paramountcords.com/product-category/accessories/

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 13:16:57 »
Becasue I use the 10pin terminal all the time and never use the PC-sync terminal, I have removed the annoying rubber cover on my D800, and use the PC-sync cap from a FE on the PC-terminal.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.