Gear Talk > Lens Talk

AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED (Two Touch) Reputation...

<< < (3/6) > >>

David H. Hartman:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on January 04, 2021, 21:58:56 ---According to this review (http://www.verwoerd.info/nikon/zoom.html), performance at 200m declines at close range so depending on the usage it may need to be treated as a f/2.8-4 lens. Of course individual lenses are likely to perform differently depending on sample variation and how they are used (focal length, focus distance, aperture etc)

--- End quote ---

From my experience the review is wrong. The AF 80-200/2.8D ED two-touch can deliver extremely sharp results but not with AF due to the adjustment error Richard mentions in his article. I may be repeating myself but I got one extremely sharp image at 200mm and f/2.8 at about 2 to 2.5m. Many others were out of focus and the limits of the AF fine tuning adjustment could not bring it in. So again: excellent AF results at 155mm. so-so at 185mm not usable at 200mm and close distance. Manual focus should work to get accurate focus at close distance and 200mm but that's not what most people buy an AF lens for.

Dave

If one does not know about the adjustment problem the lens has then the conclusion of the author would seem reasonable. I gather that this adjustment problem is common. Since the problem is an adjustment problem it probably varies from lens to lens. I might have a lens at worst end of the range.

MEPER:
What about the 70-200/2.8 VR (1st version).
I have it but have only used it on DX-sensor. I was surprised by the image quality which I think is very good.
If I had not read all the articles about how bad the lens is I would consider it as a great lens (at least on a DX-camera).
But if used for portraits on FX camera it may be OK if corners are not as good as center and lens may be as cheap as a AF 80-200.....or maybe cheaper.....
I will keep my......maybe I got a "lucky" one where all lenses perfect aligned.

golunvolo:
I also have the 2 ring version. It misses focus at close range fully open but not at longer distances, at least my copy. I have had many successful images on stage partnering with the d700.
 It is very good in infrared by the way

David H. Hartman:

--- Quote from: MEPER on January 06, 2021, 20:16:44 ---What about the 70-200/2.8 VR (1st version).

--- End quote ---

Rather than try to explain poorly with mistakes, here are a couple of links to Richard's articles...

Repair: AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 ED

Repair: AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED

MEPER:
OK, so you already have the lens and just wanted a 2nd opinion about its "special" performance?
I just assumed that you were looking for a 80-200 because they maybe are prized lower than the newer VR-models.
Therefor my suggestion to look at a 70-200 VR (1. gen) as they are often prized "low" and can make nice images according to my experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version