Gear Talk > Lens Talk

20/2.8ais

(1/8) > >>

richardHaw:
i have always been curious about this lens...

i had the 20/2.8D for a couple of years and had shot MANY photos with it, mostly landscapes :o :o :o

while I like it a lot, i found that it is not as sharp as what id imagine a prime lens would be.

now, i have been hearing that the ais is much better optically...i also assume that they both have the same optics, how could this be?

can anybody confirm that the ais is indeed better optically? Roland, Eric? Bjirna? anyone? ::)

Birna Rørslett:
The AIS is not perfectly identical with the later AF as the optics of the  latter was tweaked to function better for autofocusing.

The 20/2.8 AIS does best at fairly short distances, but is not bad for landscapes either. I used it mainly in an underwater housing for which its near-distance capabilities can be well exploited.  It has a propensity for flare that I could do without, though.

longzoom:
2017-01-15 002-1-2 by longzoom, on Flickr.   This lens is among the sharpest ever but needs to be adjusted manually. First of all, be sure the lens is not decentered, even to the smallest amount, corner-to-corner. Then, after opening it from the front, adjust its floating compensation optical group. It is a very, very precise job, almost microscopic one, but possible. Will take you about 15-20 hours, without coffee, hah! The result is directly in front of your eyes. Taken at f 4.0. Good luck!  LZ

John Geerts:
The 20/2.8 Ai-S is ideal for travelling for its size and general quality.  I like it.  Had the AF before, but prefer the Ai-S version.

Granville, France   August 2020

Donville Les Bains,  August 2020

Also France

Den Haag, November 2019

pluton:
My copy of the AiS was very good, sharpness-wise; the best of the Nikon manual focus 20mm lenses in my experience. Seemed fine at long distance on the D3 camera. It had the most pronounced case of wave-type distortion from any lens I have ever used. More pronounced than the Zeiss ZF 21/2.8!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version