Author Topic: GeoTagging on a Z6/7 from smartphone  (Read 3312 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
GeoTagging on a Z6/7 from smartphone
« on: December 03, 2020, 02:09:39 »
For some reason I thought my phone and camera were keeping a connection to location tag my Z6 images. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. My (mis)understanding comes from a message that flashes on the camera when I turn it off, something about the connection to my phone.

What is the best practice to consistently get location tagging of images? I wish that I had been doing this more routinely through my photography journey, but alas no time like now to get it right.

Any insights appreciated!
Rob.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: GeoTagging on a Z6/7 from smartphone
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:24:31 »
I have been using the tiny Foolography GPS devices on all my compatible cameras for decades (F- and Z-models).  The mission of the Foolography is to feed NMEA data into the camera at exposure time. Works perfect for my purposes and the extra power overhead is negligible. I put the actual GPS receiver in my pocket or in the gear bag and the receiver communicates with Bluetooth to the Foolography on camera.

The Z50 has no suitable port for attaching a GPS, however it will accept NMEA data via Snapbridge. Spatial accuracy is limited though.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:39:52 »
As I said, the Foolography device is tiny. Here it sits well embedded within the L-bracket of my Z5. The unit has a pass-through port so you still can use the USB port for remote control etc.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 13:02:56 »
I have used the foolography with Z6 and d500 with good success geotagging from the app in the smartphone. Be aware it drains your phones battery.
  I´m having trouble since the last upgrade. The app is not working anymore for geotagging or as a remote control -it use to be flawless- and haven´t had time to look into it yet.

Seeing Birna´s approach it looks neat. I´ll just need an appropriate gps device? Birna, are you having any trouble lately or it is just me with the phone and the Z6?

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 15:58:30 »
I use Geotag Photos Pro 2. This logs your position on your smartphone. You then match the log with the times of the photos as shown in the Exif file. The advantage of this system is that it is cheap, simple and works with multiple cameras at the same time with no need to buy a dongle for the camera or worry about the connection with the camera, because there is none. Also, you can download a log of a trip as a whole and see where you went on a map, whether or not you were taking photos at the time. There are other similar apps available.

The only disadvantages for mr are that you have to synchronise the camera clock with your smartphone clock (but the program has the facility to make an offset adjustment) and that the photos are only geotagged once you are on your computer. And you have to remember to open the app to start the logging ( :-[)

A problem I had with the Foolography device was that it was very hard to find a receiver to store the data which was compatible with Apple Macs. That situation may have changed.

The other problem I had was self generated. I accidentally lost the Foolography device at Å in Lofoten (Birna knows that place well). Amazingly, I went back and found it on a gravel path. It had split into two parts. I glued them together and it worked as well as when it was new.
Anthony Macaulay

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 17:16:30 »
For some time the location acquisition through Snapbridge on iPhone worked well and free of hassle. Starting with iOS 14, there are Bluetooth connection problems that prevent reliable acquisition. Sigh.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 04:40:41 »
I’m glad you shared that, it may be my experience too!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 18:41:17 »
The Foolography device relays whatever NMEA data stream a Bluetooth-enabled GPS can deliver.

I have used the foolography with Z6 and d500 with good success geotagging from the app in the smartphone. Be aware it drains your phones battery.
  I´m having trouble since the last upgrade. The app is not working anymore for geotagging or as a remote control -it use to be flawless- and haven´t had time to look into it yet.

Seeing Birna´s approach it looks neat. I´ll just need an appropriate gps device? Birna, are you having any trouble lately or it is just me with the phone and the Z6?

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 23:57:06 »
For some reason I thought my phone and camera were keeping a connection to location tag my Z6 images. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. My (mis)understanding comes from a message that flashes on the camera when I turn it off, something about the connection to my phone.

Rob.
I will speak for my z50 and i thing its the same for other Zs
When you keep Connection to smart device: ON , the camera notify you when you turn it off that the system will remain enable so you can download via Snapbridge  any time even if the camera is OFF

regarding your question about location tag, Yes its working on my camera
I open one photo in Fastone Image Viewer and the tag was there along with a google maps icon
I click  the Google maps icon and I get my... House location  ;D ;D on the map
So from now on I must be more careful with my exif data!
On Nikon NX-D you get the tag but no maps icon

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 00:44:32 »
The foolography device is working again with the  Z6 from the app in the android smart phone. Whatever the problem was, it has been solved without any work on my side. I have been using it this weekend.