Author Topic: Megadap fun  (Read 941 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Megadap fun
« on: January 23, 2021, 00:52:56 »
I just got my Megadap and have started some initial playing with this adapter.
It works quite well with autofocus. A bit noisy and slow but I knew that before purchase and it works as expected.
I had some fun using an old Voigtländer 10,5cm f3.5 Heliar lens in a Compur shutter from a trashed Bergheil folder. I set Compur to Z to have open shutter.
It was possible to attach extenders so infinity focus with Megadap was possible and down to 2 - 2.5m distance.
The image attached of books is a cropped image with Heliar set to f5.6 at about 2.5m distance. This just to check how good AF worked and it worked quite well.
I think this setup if the most heavy I will use with this adapter. I guess lens could be about 90 years old or so?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Megadap fun
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:29:42 »
Interesting.

As you'd expect Ken Rockwell has a opinion...

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/megadap/mtz11.htm

I'm not endorsing Ken but the information at the lnk above may be useful, or not.

Dave

Poor Ken Rockwell, he never should have reviewed lenses he never touched.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:58:13 »
Yes, I read the review before I ordered the adapter.
The reviews are often quite detailed so he has spent some time exploring most details.

I was surprised that my Leica Summicon which is the version that has google attachment could be mounted as I read in the review that the "google" lenses could not be mounted.
But maybe there are some where the googles are permanent......I am not Leica expert and the Summicon I have has just been on a M3 body for display. I have never used it but now I think I will try it out. But I don't expect it to be better than the Nikkor 50/2 H's which I think are very nice lenses.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:59 »
A couple of images with 10.5 cm Heliar out of my window. Last image is a crop to verify sharpness. The Heliar is acceptable sharp and could be fun to try to use as a portrait lens. Think it was its intended purpose back then. The Magadap did its job well. I see no CA so the designer of the lens probably knew what he did......even that it is an old design. Later came a "Color-Heliar" with coating so this uncoated version was probably only intended for BW. And if is was designed before any color-film was on the market......the designer could not anticipate I would put the lens on a Nikon Z-body......

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:35:36 »
The last shots was shot at 1/60 sec hand hold and Z50 has no VR in body so I guess sharpness could be enhanced a bit using a tripod or using higher ISO.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 11:47:41 »
Once the "Goggle" viewfinder supplement is detached from a "Goggled" lens, as you have done in the image with it on the Z50, then I think that the lens can be attached to most camera bodies such as Leicas and others with suitable adapters.  I have a 35mm f/2.0 Summicron with the Goggle supplement and have had no issues once the supplement is removed.

Yes, I read the review before I ordered the adapter.
The reviews are often quite detailed so he has spent some time exploring most details.

I was surprised that my Leica Summicon which is the version that has google attachment could be mounted as I read in the review that the "google" lenses could not be mounted.
But maybe there are some where the googles are permanent......I am not Leica expert and the Summicon I have has just been on a M3 body for display. I have never used it but now I think I will try it out. But I don't expect it to be better than the Nikkor 50/2 H's which I think are very nice lenses.
Hugh Gunn