Images > People, Portraits, Street, PJ & Cityscapes

At dusk with the 35/2.8 PC

<< < (3/5) > >>

PeterN:
Thank you for sharing these photos and your thoughts. I must say that the photos look rather dark on my screen although the first one in the first batch and the second one in the second batch look wonderful, even on my screen. Espec. the 2nd in the 2nd batch looks like a painting of one of the Dutch painting masters of the past.

Airy:

--- Quote from: Fons Baerken on November 04, 2020, 15:57:29 ---Personally i think he ,YK has a point, (the-angry-photographer was just copying YK's thoughts).

--- End quote ---
Yes, he may well have a point, and I also have preferences for certain lenses that I can hardly trace back to measurable characteristics, or of which I know they are not stellar "on paper" (e.g. the Nikkor 50/2). What makes me nervous is the unwarranted claim that leaded glass is intrinsically better or that sort of things (I might be confusing YK and TAP though). Again, blind testing could help put things straight.

Airy:

--- Quote from: PeterN on November 04, 2020, 20:02:26 ---Thank you for sharing these photos and your thoughts. I must say that the photos look rather dark on my screen although the first one in the first batch and the second one in the second batch look wonderful, even on my screen. Espec. the 2nd in the 2nd batch looks like a painting of one of the Dutch painting masters of the past.

--- End quote ---

Indeed, screens variability is much higher than, say, sensor or lens variability... the equivalent to loudspeakers in HiFi.

I generally view my shots on the M$ Surface 4 screen, which is quite bright and contrasty: same kind of rendering as on recent iPhones. The same shots may look muddy on my other screens. My bigger Toshiba laptop has a calibrated screen, color balance is about the same, but it is less contrasty. Finally, my matte 27'' QHD monitor (that I use for software development; originally designed for gaming) is nice for displaying thumbnails and user interfaces, but ruins every picture.

It's a long time I did not print anything. My last prints were using a big Epson tracer at a printshop. I am no longer sure whether the settings I chose for my screen would also be suitable for the tracer; most likely not (at the time, I performed all PP on another Toshiba laptop screen that was also less contrasty than the Surface one).

Airy:
Now for a nighttime shot. Using this PC lens with the Zf (or other mirrorless) is ridiculously easy:

* no need to set exposure manually before shifting
* the artificial horizon helps keeping the camera horizontal while shifting. I seldom use tripods even with PC lenses, but the camera makes tripods nearly superfluous
* I vastly prefer the screw system of the old PC lenses compared to the new ones: it can be used one-handed, no need for blockingResult is shifted street shots, with the slow speed (1/15) partly blurring the passers-by. Once again, the lens behaves well at night, and the sunstars add a touch (must have been f/5.6).

Akira:
Nice color!  I also like the mild and right intensity of the star burst that the lens shows when stopped down.

I wonder if the IBIS work properly when the lens is shifted?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version