Author Topic: End of Ais NIkkor  (Read 6910 times)

beryllium10

• NG Member
Re: End of Ais NIkkor
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 17:39:41 »
Akira, thanks for noticing this.  I echo everything said above - astonishing that they survived in production as long as they did.  Based on years of Nikongear examples, I'd have liked to own a 35/1.4, but never committed (likewise the 50/1.2, though neither is really a focal length I commonly reach for).  Perhaps a decent used one will cross my path some time in future - they're built to last a hundred years! 
Sad but not at all surprised to know the 300/4 AF-S is also discontinued.  Amazing that it lasted so long, given the advent of the PF teles and everyone's overwhelming preference for compact, lightweight lenses (personally, I like the heft of the older AF-S).  Possibly my favourite and most used lens.
Cheers, John

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 19:22:49 »
Somehwat sad to read.

The AF-S 12-24/4, AF-S 18-300 and all AF-D lenses are also discontinued.

As a user of AI-S lenses I am grateful that Nikon kept them in production as long as they did, but with the move to Z mount and the downturn in the photographic sales, it was only a matter of time...

If all AF-Dlenses are discontinued, this would also affect the two DC lenses. On the other hand NIkon is currently announcing (one ov several) articles that should trigger interest in lenses. THis is about special lenses and including the 105 and 135 mm DC (german site):

https://www.mynikon.de/inspiration/nikon-magazin/Objektiv-Kurs-Spezielle-Objektive-mit-besonderen-Eigenschaften
Wolfgang Rehm

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 02:16:20 »
I've been wondering how long they would continue to produce these old lenses.  It's been 14 years since they dropped all film cameras except for the FM10 and F6 which had very slow sales before and after.  At that time they also discontinued a number of AI-S lenses.  Once they had a (very nearly) full range of G-type lenses on the market, there was no need to produce the old AF-D lenses for digital use but they continued anyway. As others have noted there are very large numbers of the old AI-S and AF-D Nikkor lenses available on the used market.

It's sad, but it's also good that Nikon is rationalizing its produce lineup.  I was concerned that they were spending resources on markets of little business value.

I'm glad I bought a number of AI-S lenses back when people were dumping them on the market in large numbers, often in excellent condition.  I still have my Df and my manual-focus Nikon film cameras.

I don't think Nikon has been producing Ais and AF-D lenses continuously.  I guess that they decided to produce another batch only when they were sure of further demand for these older lenses.  The discontinuation this time would indicate that they finally decided there would be no demand that makes the producing more items worthwhile.

Thank you to all for this 'heads up'....I showed it to my wife who has wanted the DX 18-300 for her D3300 and now she has one, just in the nick of time as it was quite hard to source here in the UK with stocks presumably being run down.

Glad to know that it was not too late!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 02:27:27 »
Akira, thanks for noticing this.  I echo everything said above - astonishing that they survived in production as long as they did.  Based on years of Nikongear examples, I'd have liked to own a 35/1.4, but never committed (likewise the 50/1.2, though neither is really a focal length I commonly reach for).  Perhaps a decent used one will cross my path some time in future - they're built to last a hundred years! 
Sad but not at all surprised to know the 300/4 AF-S is also discontinued.  Amazing that it lasted so long, given the advent of the PF teles and everyone's overwhelming preference for compact, lightweight lenses (personally, I like the heft of the older AF-S).  Possibly my favourite and most used lens.
Cheers, John

What is good about the MF lenses in the mirrorless era is that they can be adapted to any camera bodies, and you can focus and set the aperture without depending on the proprietary electronic communication systems.  So long as the lenses functions properly on their own, they are hard to be obsolete!

If all AF-Dlenses are discontinued, this would also affect the two DC lenses. On the other hand NIkon is currently announcing (one ov several) articles that should trigger interest in lenses. THis is about special lenses and including the 105 and 135 mm DC (german site):

https://www.mynikon.de/inspiration/nikon-magazin/Objektiv-Kurs-Spezielle-Objektive-mit-besonderen-Eigenschaften

According to the Japanese Nikon website, 105DC had already been discontinued, and 135DC was discontinued along with the Ais lenses, sad to say.

https://www.nikon-image.com/products/nikkor/fmount/

The gray rectangular icons next to the products names indicate that they are legacy products.  The 105CD is not shown in the web page linked above, and the 135DC carries the icon now.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 04:15:11 »
I don't think Nikon has been producing Ais and AF-D lenses continuously.  I guess that they decided to produce another batch only when they were sure of further demand for these older lenses.  The discontinuation this time would indicate that they finally decided there would be no demand that makes the producing more items worthwhile.

Glad to know that it was not too late!

I agree that they were likely producing batches from time to time.  The point is that the lenses remained as active products, and Nikon retained production parts and equipment long enough to periodically produce more copies. I'll speculate that it may have been years since some of the lenses have been produced.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 04:36:48 »
I agree that they were likely producing batches from time to time.  The point is that the lenses remained as active products, and Nikon retained production parts and equipment long enough to periodically produce more copies. I'll speculate that it may have been years since some of the lenses have been produced.

I know what you mean.  Another merit of keeping the products current even they stopped producing is that their spare parts can be "officially" kept for the repair (like the replacement of damaged front element).

chambeshi

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 10:44:40 »
In 2017, I was told by two different well known retailers in London that Nikon were manufacturing selected AIS and AFD lenses subject to demand: ie in a batch. This included the 70-180 Micro-Nikkor AFD, which was officially discontinued, and also the 105 AFD Micro-Nikkor. And this also included the few AIS primes still listed by Grays.

WRT optics, these Z system engineers are  fairly explicit about Nikon's priorities in this interview, published in March. The 2nd part is mainly about the 58 f0.95 Noct but includes a
couple of telling snippets. A couple of intriguing hints about extending the diversity of Z Nikkors, which exploit the optical advantages of the new mount.
https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1239336.html

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1240053.html

Clearly, this younger generation of "lensigneers" have their act together (but a pity about Nikon marketing!).

Somehwat sad to read.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 21:16:33 »
Fortunately I have already got the (Long discontinued) 70-180 Micro and the 135 and 105 mm DC - all second hand. A lot of special- lenses are waiting for replacement with AF-S Versions now for years, Nikon is setting other priorities - no Micro Nikkor longer than 105mm for instance
Wolfgang Rehm

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 08:44:31 »
I updated my site to show the newly discontinued lenses. Let me know if I missed anything.

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 21:45:18 »
In the autumn of 1980 I bought my first Nikon camera - the F3 - with the Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 AI and Reflex-Nikkor 500mm f/8. When the AI-S lenses came on the marked I also began to buy several of them. Since then I think I have more than 70 AI-S lenses (from Fisheye-Nikkor 8mm f/2.8 to 800mm f/5.6). Some of them I have two copies, and for the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 I have 8 (not joking). I think my AI and AI-S lenses will be with me until my death (or until I can't do photography anymore). Time will show...
One picture taken is far better than none!

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 22:25:40 »
Some of them I have two copies, and for the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 I have 8 (not joking).

Now thats what I call redundancy :-)
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 12:53:27 »
In the autumn of 1980 I bought my first Nikon camera - the F3 - with the Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 AI and Reflex-Nikkor 500mm f/8. When the AI-S lenses came on the marked I also began to buy several of them. Since then I think I have more than 70 AI-S lenses (from Fisheye-Nikkor 8mm f/2.8 to 800mm f/5.6). Some of them I have two copies, and for the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 I have 8 (not joking). I think my AI and AI-S lenses will be with me until my death (or until I can't do photography anymore). Time will show...
Now that is quite the collection! Wow
Erik Lund

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 13:50:49 »
Now thats what I call redundancy :-)
The B-52 comes to mind...
Airy Magnien

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2020, 05:12:08 »
thanks Akira. Good to know - sad to find out. Mongo will not be parting with his A-IS lenses in any hurry !

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2020, 12:15:39 »
I guess there are enough lenses out there to fulfill one's need ! Though prices will go up for the"clean" ones :'(
I'll have a look at my usual photo fair in Bièvres in june (if the Covid goes away)...

Hi Mongo, been some time, glad to see you here  ;)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.