Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Do you guys check the sensor when buying a new camera?

<< < (2/2)

Erik Lund:
I don't check the sensor as such, I just start shooting and if anything looks dirty i clean the sensor, my D850 is set to auto dust-off as on when powering down.I had an Leica M re-calibrated for dead pixels many years ago

pluton:

--- Quote from: Erik Lund on August 24, 2020, 07:53:29 ---I don't check the sensor as such, I just start shooting and if anything looks dirty i clean the sensor, my D850 is set to auto dust-off as on when powering down.I had an Leica M re-calibrated for dead pixels many years ago

--- End quote ---
Eric, Why not set auto dust of for both power up and power down?  More cleaning cannot be bad, no?

Erik Lund:
I want the camera to be ready to capture images as soon as I power it on ;)

MFloyd:
The only negative experience I had in over 40 years of Nikon usage, was with my new D4s where the shutter was spitting dust particles like an antique steam locomotive. After several back and forwards, and some threat to resolve the problem in court, I had the body returned with an accompanying letter that mentioned that the camera has been cleaned “for free”, but that the next time I would have to pay for ....

Three months later, I learned, by accident, from a Nikon representative that the entire shutter mechanism had to be replaced. But, obeying the sacred Nikon rule: Never Admit ...

_D4S5746.jpg
sensor after 100 shots ...

After that, the D4s fulfilled its duties faultlessly.

BruceSD:
I just bought a "lightly used" Panasonic MFT body.   The attached photo is an image of a pure white sheet of paper at a small aperture. 

A bit of typical dust is visible, but because of the large grey blobs (and dozens of scratches/scrapes on the body) I'm returning the camera to the seller.

Another example of a greedy seller exaggerating the quality of their items.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version