Author Topic: Back button focusing: a feature of the past?  (Read 2651 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Re: Back button focusing: a feature of the past?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 09:40:20 »
I am not into bird photography so I can’ t comment on that.

I am not sure if I agree with the writer when he mentions the two ‘main’ reasons for Backbutton focus (every function its own button, focus+recompose) and qualifies the elimination of the need to switch between AF-S and AF-C as a ‘side effect’. If you follow his reasoning , he might be right. With today‘s large amount of focus points and joysticks it is easy to move the focus point rou d and quickly go back to the center point by pressing the joystick. But to me the whole point of backbutton focus is that I can decouple the focusing from the shutter and switch between AF-S and AF-C without switching menu settings or buttons. I find his answer to that rather funny. This is what he writes: “ What’s overlooked though is that it’s actually just as easily done with the default shutter focus method too by using AF-L (autofocus lock). The difference is that releasing the AF-On button in the case of back-button focus would stop AF-C and emulate AF-S, however with the default shutter focus setting, AF-C can be stopped to emulate AF-S by holding the AF-L button and then pressing the shutter button.”
So he uses two buttons again to avoid using two other buttons
Peter

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: Back button focusing: a feature of the past?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 09:53:22 »
A higher number of focus point makes it easier to select the desired place and gives more accuracy. But I don't think that it contributes to be more quickly with the selecting procedure - its rather the other way round. Yes it can be recentered by just pressing the OK button.
Wolfgang Rehm