Author Topic: August 2020  (Read 25449 times)

ianwatson

Re: August 2020
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2020, 16:28:34 »
Paco, that is a very striking photograph!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2020, 16:42:55 »
Thank you all. Much appreciated.

Akira, love that image! Fantastic graphic and juxtaposition. The empty space both separates and connects the round, distant luminous moon with the chaotic dark lines. Full Moon over steampunk darkscape. Ole

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2020, 00:04:08 »
Evangelische Stadtkirche Bad Hersfeld
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2020, 01:01:47 »
Akira, love that image! Fantastic graphic and juxtaposition. The empty space both separates and connects the round, distant luminous moon with the chaotic dark lines. Full Moon over steampunk darkscape. Ole

Thank you, Paco!  Indeed, the contrast between the "chaos" and the beautiful simplicity should be the main point.

Evangelische Stadtkirche Bad Hersfeld

Feels majestic but intimate.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2020, 06:15:47 »
Thank you Paco and Akira. I was really lucky with the light several times.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2020, 09:57:03 »
As a nature photographer, one sometimes has to resort to weird tricks in order to be able to "get" the picture. For the recent Eelgrass (Zostera) studies I have to make a comparison between Z. marina and Z. angustifolia and optimistically tried to do photomacrographs of the leaves and their nervation. "Optimistic" as in not paying enough attention to the fact their foliage gains the required tensile strength by having numerous strands of sclerenchymatic tissue inserted into the blades. These dense strands make the leaf opaque rather than transparent when you shine a light through the blade and it turned out I couldn't get any "clear picture" of  the nervation and even less of the specific differences.

Back to the kitchen desk -- literally -- for some pre-processing wizardry. The leaves needed to be boiled in alcohol, then soaked in sodium hypochlorite, washed in distilled water (which in my country can be substituted by tap water), and finally stained by a suitable dye. I had acridine orange dye so used that. It is a fluorescent staining dye and at present I'm boiling the stained sample in water to get rid of the air bubbles trapped inside the blades. Night turned into day so I'll have to wait until another night fall before I can mount these samples and examine them with UV fluorescence, but so far all looks good.

Oh well.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2020, 17:19:26 »
today I found a noisy cicada on a tree and took some photos exploring my new Z50
Photos taken with 55/2.8 als 1:2 with almost no PP except some sharpening and crop

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2020, 20:25:11 »
today I found a noisy cicada on a tree

Nice capture
Can you remember what sort of size these were Nasos?
The can still generate an awesome quantity of sound considering how small they are.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2020, 20:51:20 »
Great Shot Paco

New Apartment complex.  Pano of 3 images

Z7  AF-S   14-24/2.8

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2020, 21:27:34 »
Can you remember what sort of size these were Nasos?
The can still generate an awesome quantity of sound considering how small they are.
It’s about 4-5 cm long, quite large
Yes the sound is incredible if there  are many you get crazy, but you now it’s hot summer then, typical Mediterranean

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2020, 21:42:30 »
Birna that’s very interesting you spend a lot of time for preparation reminds me the preparation staining cells for the microscope
Acridine's fluorescent is used in chemiluminescence for Immune testing, there are several patents with Acridinium Ester.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2020, 21:58:35 »
As a nature photographer, one sometimes has to resort to weird tricks in order to be able to "get" the picture. For the recent Eelgrass (Zostera) studies I have to make a comparison between Z. marina and Z. angustifolia and optimistically tried to do photomacrographs of the leaves and their nervation. "Optimistic" as in not paying enough attention to the fact their foliage gains the required tensile strength by having numerous strands of sclerenchymatic tissue inserted into the blades. These dense strands make the leaf opaque rather than transparent when you shine a light through the blade and it turned out I couldn't get any "clear picture" of  the nervation and even less of the specific differences.

Back to the kitchen desk -- literally -- for some pre-processing wizardry. The leaves needed to be boiled in alcohol, then soaked in sodium hypochlorite, washed in distilled water (which in my country can be substituted by tap water), and finally stained by a suitable dye. I had acridine orange dye so used that. It is a fluorescent staining dye and at present I'm boiling the stained sample in water to get rid of the air bubbles trapped inside the blades. Night turned into day so I'll have to wait until another night fall before I can mount these samples and examine them with UV fluorescence, but so far all looks good.

Oh well.
Impressive work.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2020, 00:03:56 »
The impact of COVID-19 leads to interesting initiatives. A lot of people stay at home for the summer so a group of local entrepreneurs have transformed this former open and unused square to an attractive mini-festival.

[/url]

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2020, 00:22:59 »
All is well that ends well. Thus, the boiling of Eelgrass leaves to make stained samples, as described in yesterday's post, did pay off. I got really nice images of the blades of of these Zostera species and managed to circumvent the opaque nature imposed by all the sclerenchymatic tissue embedded. The pesky trapped air bubbles disappeared as well. Here is Z. marina at 5X (Laowa 25mm f/2.8, Z6). The scale bar represents 10mm.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2020, 00:50:33 »
The impact of COVID-19 leads to interesting initiatives. A lot of people stay at home for the summer so a group of local entrepreneurs have transformed this former open and unused square to an attractive mini-festival.

Nice representation of these interestingly scattered objects, Luc!  The image reminds me a little bit of "The Farm" by Joan Miró.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira