Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

AF-Nikkor 80mm f/2.8!!!

(1/2) > >>

richardHaw:
https://richardhaw.com/2020/08/01/af-nikkor-80mm-f-2-8-ai-s/

always curious about this lens :o :o :o

John Geerts:
Thanks for you article, Rick.

I do not agree with your description of the bokeh-quality looking 'cheap'. What is the definition of cheap?

I regard the bokeh very fine especially for a f/2.8 lens.

Because of it's sharpness and flat view (and lack of chroma up close), it's ideal for macro-shots  (with extension of with or close-up lens). Some experts used this lens as a cheap alternative for the Rodenstock  APO Rodagon D 75/4 especially for reproduction work)

richardHaw:

--- Quote from: John Geerts on August 01, 2020, 14:23:38 ---Thanks for you article, Rick.

I do not agree with your description of the bokeh-quality looking 'cheap'. What is the definition of cheap?

I regard the bokeh very fine especially for a f/2.8 lens.

Because of it's sharpness and flat view (and lack of chroma up close), it's ideal for macro-shots  (with extension of with or close-up lens). Some experts used this lens as a cheap alternative for the Rodenstock  APO Rodagon D 75/4 especially for reproduction work)

--- End quote ---

i am interested in your last statement about the rodenstock :o :o :o

for me, cheap means that it doesn't have the delicate rendering of the 85/2 ::)
it feels like it's losing a bit of tonality

John Geerts:

--- Quote from: richardHaw on August 01, 2020, 14:34:52 ---for me, cheap means that it doesn't have the delicate rendering of the 85/2 ::)
it feels like it's losing a bit of tonality

--- End quote ---
Ah, I see. Bokeh is a personal taste and subjective.

I sold the 85/2 because of the softness (wide open) and not so special bokeh  ;)

MEPER:
I did a small 80-85 mm test many years ago just to compare sharpness / bokeh of the 80-85mm lenses I had:

https://pbase.com/mxp/85mmtest

All shot at aperture 4 to compare at same settings. Maybe I should have used 2.8.
I was surprised how similar bokeh looks at aperture 4.
I have never understood why so many seems to dislike the 80.2. I think it is a fine lens. At least my versions.... :-)
When I sold my Hasselblad cameras I also sold the 80/2,8 CFE as this lens did not give any benefit compared to Nikkors.

Try to shot the same scene with different Nikkor 80-85 mm lenses…...I don't think the difference in bokeh is as huge as you think :-)
Of course wide open there will be a huge difference between 1.4 and 2.8.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version