Author Topic: Noct Nikkor (58/1.2 AIS), another batch  (Read 653 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Noct Nikkor (58/1.2 AIS), another batch
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 02:00:17 »
Indeed, even at low res.
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 05:16:56 »
When using my Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 AIS at f/2 the lens is notably sharper than at f/1.2.
These results should not be too surprising, even for a well corrected lens like the Noct. Very few lenses are perfect wide open, especially lenses of this age and of this speed, so you should expect some aberrations at wide apertures which reduce on stopping down.

Also, the depth of field at f/1.2 is very shallow even at far distances as in the picture above. For example, if the lens was focused on the car, I should expect the fence in the foreground, and the hill in the background to be far enough outside the focus zone to be a little soft. Again, stopping down to f/2 will increase the DoF and render the whole scene more sharply.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 09:28:31 »
Using the (historical) Noct wide open, we're not looking for perfection, are we :)

Still, f/1.2 is usable under some circumstances, because of the relatively high contrast (much less haze than others) provided by this lens, so the pics still have some punch despite nearly everything being out of focus. I could not find one of my oldest Noct post here, where some forum Member was surprized by the "apparent" sharpness at f/1.2.

I have found this other old thread with some comparisons: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=7723.0

Ah, finally found my original thread. See the first two shots, both at f/1.2, that illustrate well this "contrast" story: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=5780.0
Airy Magnien

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 12:28:31 »
I also add the Noct f/4 shot only so you can compare if you like. It's getting better at f/4...
One picture taken is far better than none!