Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Noct Nikkor (58/1.2 AIS), another batch

(1/8) > >>

Airy:
... of shots, not of lenses.
At night, there are better alternatives : the Tamron 45/1.8 comes to mind. But for daytime usage, I always found the Noct quite interesting, and often convincing.

Both shots at f/1.2. Sharpness is adequate, even though the sharpness zone is very thin (and not quite plane).

Airy:
Performance near MFD does not drop too sharply. Of course, using the lens wide open under such conditions is near-nonsense, but...
Apertures were f/2, f/2.8, f/1.4, F/2, f/4. There is some noticeable LoCA in the first one, and some blueish fringing against bright backgrounds, but not at a revolting level.

Airy:
At mid-distances, the full aperture is more useful, given the combination of subject isolation + vignetting + liquid bokeh. Sorry about the shots, the garden was not the most inspiring place.

Airy:
... not to forget one thing : at f/4, it is a brilliant portrait lens esp. for elderly people (high contrast, the wrinkles come out nicely); at f/8 (below), there is no trouble with architecture. By the way, I did not correct the barrel distortion.

Airy:
Forgot to tell : all shots taken with my trusty Df and a standard focussing screen + DK17M magnifier. In bright daylight as today, focussing is not an issue, I missed very few. Under dim conditions, ouch...

Reminder: the old Noct is perfectly usable on a Z7 (as I could test in a shop). Alas, I do not own one.

At full aperture, the otherwise excellent 105/1.8 is rarely usable, while the Noct is often usable at 1.2. This is really impressive...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version