Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Zoom-Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5 Ai-S!

(1/2) > >>

richardHaw:
https://richardhaw.com/2020/07/04/repair-zoom-nikkor-35-70mm-f-3-3-4-5-ai-s/

not a bad lens at all :o :o :o

Roland Vink:
"Having said that, you can still buy one of these new when sold with new-old-stock Nikon FM10s or Nikon FE10s"

A small correction - the lens sold with the Cosina-made FM10 and FE10 is a 35-70/3.5-4.8. It is a different lens which is a little slower at the long end. It looks more plasticy overall, has no chrome grab-ring, and it has only 6 aperture blades instead of 7. I've not tried this lens so am not sure how it compares optically with the older lens.

richardHaw:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on July 05, 2020, 05:11:48 ---"Having said that, you can still buy one of these new when sold with new-old-stock Nikon FM10s or Nikon FE10s"

A small correction - the lens sold with the Cosina-made FM10 and FE10 is a 35-70/3.5-4.8. It is a different lens which is a little slower at the long end. It looks more plasticy overall, has no chrome grab-ring, and it has only 6 aperture blades instead of 7. I've not tried this lens so am not sure how it compares optically with the older lens.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for clarifying!!!!

man, i am confused by these 2 lenses :o :o :o

Roland Vink:
"the lens sold with the Cosina-made FM10 and FE10 is a 35-70/3.5-4.8. It is a different lens which is a little slower at the long end"

It's also slower at the wide end - f3.5 vs f3.3, so overall about 1/6 stop slower through the entire zoom range.

I had the AI-S 35-70/3.3-4.5 for a while some years ago. I bought it second hand, the shop had two, one showed focus shift when zooming, the other was better so I bought it. I took some good pictures with it but felt it was never quite as sharp as my AI-S primes so I sold it again.

richardHaw:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on July 05, 2020, 22:51:17 ---I had the AI-S 35-70/3.3-4.5 for a while some years ago. I bought it second hand, the shop had two, one showed focus shift when zooming, the other was better so I bought it. I took some good pictures with it but felt it was never quite as sharp as my AI-S primes so I sold it again.

--- End quote ---

mine has terrible focus breathing :o :o :o

not sure about the focus shift. it can be tough to adjust a zoom back to factory standards. my guess is that it has been repaired.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version