Author Topic: Glossy or matte screen for photo editing - your experiences?  (Read 3978 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Glossy or matte screen for photo editing - your experiences?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 14:15:47 »
I would choose a matte surface to minimize reflections.

Some photographers are very particular about gamut, i.e. how large a range of colours the display can accurately render (in % of colour spaces such as sRGB and Adobe RGB).

Gamut of laptops are reported by some websites, e.g.,

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebooks-with-the-Best-Displays.120541.0.html

Personally I think the rendering of shadows is very important as many modern displays are designed to produce a bright image and the dynamic range is not sufficient to render shadows  accurately. A very bright display may be difficult to calibrate and may not be accurate for preparing images for printing.

I use an Eizo monitor on my main desktop computer for editing. My laptop isn't particularly good with regards to gamut but it's adequate for editing (with the caveat that it may not be as accurate as the separate, specialized monitor). I would say the laptop screen is intemediate after calibration.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 18:58:16 »
There are monitors that are essentially glossy with an anti-reflection coating that may be the best of both worlds. I don't consider these to be matte screens while others may. These monitors may be a good compromise between matte and glossy particularly for laptop computers.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

dongren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear'23
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2023, 15:06:01 »
It depends.  I own both glossy and matte displays. Glossy offers better picture quality but suffers from glare/reflections. Matte diffuses the light across the surface, which reduces glare/reflection.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2023, 00:45:17 »
I've changed my mind over summer. Moved to a MacBook pro (M2 Max) and a "nanotextured" Apple Studio Display, rather than a glossy one, and not looking back. This monitor is expensive but flawless: very evenly lit, for one thing. And finally, Lightroom is as responsive as a text editor.
Airy Magnien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2023, 09:03:02 »
Matte might be better if you are making inkjet prints.  Prints are my highest priority, so matte has been good for me.  For those whose final product is web display, glossy makes sense.  Note: Matte surfaces still reflect bright objects behind you, but the reflections are vague shapes and not mirrored, exact shapes.  Best to have no bright light sources reflecting in the monitor.
My recently acquired Eizo CG2700S monitor is a very nice matte surface monitor.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA