Author Topic: Some help with 500 f4G vr  (Read 881 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Some help with 500 f4G vr
« on: June 26, 2020, 08:44:50 »
The lens has spent much of the past couple of years in a Dry Cabinet and now I see a couple of cracks in the rubber portion at the front of the lens, not the Focus ring.  I'm thinking about filling and cementing the cracks.   Ideas about what to use/   Also , is it difficult to get the front protective glass out?   Many thanks.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Some help with 500 f4G vr
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 09:06:27 »
Just get a new rubber part, cementing can lead to huge annoyance when/if you need to repair it if it comes in under the rubber.
Erik Lund

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: Some help with 500 f4G vr
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:07:54 »
Erik, easier said than done  >:( .  Nikon India stopped selling parts  a few years back.  I had a local guy, who had worked for Nikon for years , that would do many repairs but I would have to get the part from the UK.  At the moment Nikon UK Parts operation is closed.  The part is listed in the manual as "rubber grip" item #3 but I have not found it anywhere on the net.  Focus and Zoom rings yes.   There does not appear to be any movement of that part and it doesn't look like it would have anything to do with taking the lens apart.  Listed the same for the 600mm f/4G vr
I tend to agree on using cement/glue.   Many thanks,
Cheers
Tom Hardin, Goa, India