Author Topic: Playing with my new 20mm f/1.8S lens for the Z-mount  (Read 4990 times)

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: Playing with my new 20mm f/1.8S lens for the Z-mount
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2020, 14:47:12 »
2 more finished baking! I only took multiple exposures of the sky for stacking. When panorama is created, there's visible zones of noise that suddenly disappear... oh what an obvious problem that I didn't think through when shooting... haha

Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V3 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 22:20:29 »
The one with the lone tree in the center is ...wow!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 22:54:26 »

Really loving the lack of coma! Next week's trip is planned too... I'm looking forward to it!

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 22:54:48 »
Agree, wow...
Tim Becraft

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 23:11:45 »
Do you have a link to something like "making star images for dummies"?
I am interesting in learning a bit about the technique without having equipment that can trace the stars (I assume that the images you show are shot just with a steady setup?).

You talk about stacked images. I want to learn how images are stacked and how you prevent that the stars "moves" when using a steady setup.
It is difficult to stop rotation of earth just for a short moment? :-)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 00:33:58 »
These are truly amazing results!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 05:41:57 »
I am interesting in learning a bit about the technique without having equipment that can trace the stars (I assume that the images you show are shot just with a steady setup?).

You talk about stacked images. I want to learn how images are stacked and how you prevent that the stars "moves" when using a steady setup.
Do a search here there are people very experienced in Astro photography and in stacking
Also check here there are a lot of good articles about
https://photographylife.com/gsearch?q=Star+photography
Very nice photos, I see S line lens are very promising

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2020, 10:31:23 »
Ok.....I have read a little bit. It seems focus stacking in star-images is to get foreground sharp and exposed correctly and not so much for "noise cancellation" of the sky.
It seems 20 sec. exposure is about the limit if star trails should be avoided.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 11:57:32 »
I´ll guess the minimum exposure time to avoid star trails is linked to focal length?

Impressive. Have never tried myself. It doesn't look easy at all. The results are worth the work whatever it may be.

Thanks for sharing it!

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 12:16:45 »
Great thread, interesting info and beautiful images. Thanks for sharing on NG.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 13:26:30 »
I´ll guess the minimum exposure time to avoid star trails is linked to focal length?

Impressive. Have never tried myself. It doesn't look easy at all. The results are worth the work whatever it may be.

Thanks for sharing it!

Yes, there is a rule saying 500/focal length   .....so a 20 mm gives about 25 sec. and a 180 mm only 2-3 sec. I was thinking of wide angle lenses.
I think when the Nikkor 180/2.8 MF was released it was quite popular for astrophotography as the lens is well corrected wide open. Also nice to have a fixed infinity focus for that purpose.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 17:50:13 »

Thanks for sharing it!
Maximum for 20mm would be 20 seconds, there's still a tiny amount of observable tracing. Usually 15 seconds gives the best results.
Winder lenses such as the popular Samyang 14mm F2.8 can do 30 seconds, but you'd still see trailing. 25 seconds is my suggestion.
It's usually cheaper to invest in a small star tracker and couple it with a moderately wide lens, such as a 24 or 35mm at F2 or 2.8 than to just buy a fast wide angle that likely has some pretty annoying coma wide open.

I don't really have a link where I learned my techniques from, it's mostly self-taught and studying online photos. My setup is very steady, heavy duty RRS tripod and a big ballhead, heavy but it's required. The images up until now were shot in the Southern Highlands of NSW, it gets really windy at night, there's actually some shake if you look very closely. It's better to hold the tripod down. I do carry 1L of hot water during these trips (Winter here), so my hiking bag actually makes a decent counter-weight.

Exposure time is a matter of focal length. 20mm here, so about 20 seconds would be pushing it. I usually do 15 seconds. By the 500 or 600 rule, it can be longer but that rule is a very flawed basis for exposure time.
12mm 30s
14mm 25s
20mm 15-20s
24mmm 15s
35mm ~5-8s
Above: Use a tracker

For stacking, I didn't use focus stacking. I'm talking about image stacking to reduce noise. The photos were shot at ISO3200 or 6400, however you can see the sky looks clean, looks like an ISO400 or lower shot. That's because I blended multiple exposures and stacked them to reduce noise. The process is simple in photoshop:
- Files > scripts > load files into stack > attempt to align
- Check result, good? Convert to smart object. Bad? Align manually
- Layers > smart objects > stacking mode > median
Doing so also removes any trailing left by planes and lucky meteorites/shootings stars that you caught. Planes aren't a problem now due to the virus. For the meteors, I just paint them in using masks.
Sometimes using a mask to remove the foreground helps with automatic alignment. If photoshop is mean, just zoom in like 400% and do it manually, it's not too bad.

Sometimes focus stacking will be required if the foreground is too soft despite the lens being at infinity.
Here's a good channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-KNiVo4X76cJIMphH1lEdA
Here's some more information on exposure stacking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rydg7JGTAbw&t=183s

It's more complicated if you want to do panoramas and/or stack the foreground to reduce noise as well. I just ordered some parts to make a panorama setup so I can do better vertical stitches.

I'll post a photo of my equipment later today.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2020, 18:32:21 »
Ok.....I will look at the youtubes.......
Just a quick question. If you stack many pictures to reduce noise and you expose each 15-20 sec then stars "moves" a bit from frame to frame.
Is the stacking software able to align all these images so stars appears as single stars?   
I can see that from your images but just if I have understood it correct that if you have 16 images in the stack then the eposure of last image is about 16 x 20 sec. later.....or so.....?

My setup is a medium size carbon Gitzo tripod (old one) with only baseplate (center column removed) and head is a Foba Super Miniball (I agreed with myself that this was the most heavy I wanted to carry in the field).
I have a large Graf Studioball but it requires a tripod with larger baseplate. Both heads are with Arca Swiss mount.  The Graf ball-head is about 2 kg alone.....so not so transportable. Probably the reason they call it a Studioball. Don't know if the brand exist anymore.....but it is good quality.....so it may be used in the future but I will try first with the Foba setup. My only real wide angle lens for DX is the old Nikkor 12-24 DX zoom. My camera is a Z50.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2020, 21:46:50 »
Thank you for all the information

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2020, 22:20:19 »
Yes, and the last link about stacking to reduce noise gives the answer to my last question.
It requires a master degree in Photoshop.     Not much I can do using NX-D :-)
But I can try just doing a single image and see what I get out of that.