Author Topic: Nikon D6 w super tele lens lineup - new FL lens???  (Read 5106 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D6 w super tele lens lineup - new FL lens???
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 17:08:32 »
Do you think the "PF" principle will be the new standard for super-teles to make them more compact or do you make some optical compromises using this principle so the real "top-notch" prof. grade super-teles will still be made "old-school"?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 18:01:16 »
Do you think the "PF" principle will be the new standard for super-teles to make them more compact or do you make some optical compromises using this principle so the real "top-notch" prof. grade super-teles will still be made "old-school"?

Yes

Neither will go away.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 18:21:38 »
I agree that there will be two lines remaining - but the old school has changed and is about to change (FL elements, SR elements, new coatings, maybe we will see sapphire glass, more lightweight chassis)

I see it a bit similar to Canons DO that remained limited (400/4 and 70-300/4,5-5,6 -are there more?) and did not replace the superfast high grade lineup
Wolfgang Rehm

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 16:01:58 »
I'd considered the Z-mount  85 mm f/1,8 S as (slight) tele

Technically, maybe Wolfgang....

But if I want to shoot sports or wildlife, when does anyone think Nikon will release "S" versions of the tools for the job?
Nothing other than zooms yet indicated

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 16:20:18 »
As i am operating D4S, D500, D850 and Z6 (amongst others) I'd recommend taking a SLR when shooting sports or wildlife. And there is plenty of superb F-mount tools out there that can be operated on a Z as well without compatibiliy restrictions  via FTZ adapter
we have the Z-mounted 70-200/2,8 S already and there will be more - be patient. Current situatoin has become completely unpredictable due to foreseeable and unforeseeable consequences of pandemic driven economic crisis and severe impacts on an already shrinking market.

Technically everything beyound 50-60 mm up to 200 mm is considered as Tele lens and everything from 300 and above supertele, so 85 /1,8 is tele but of course by no way a sufficient tool for sports and wildlife which requires supertele. Given the Z-roadmap a 100-400 S and 200-600 have been announced, both are in the supertele range - no prime of course but the same goes for the 80-400, 180-400, 200-400 and 200-500 F-mount lenses. And BTW there is no 200-600 lens in the F-mount lineup if its good it may be a winner. To me this strategy is right, prosumers are preferring telezooms and the number of those who aquire FL-type primes is limited.
Personally I might buy the 200-600 but I am not willing to add another 800mm f/5,6 in Z-mount.
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 17:16:43 »
Technically, maybe Wolfgang....

But if I want to shoot sports or wildlife, when does anyone think Nikon will release "S" versions of the tools for the job?
Nothing other than zooms yet indicated

The benefit of short register distance for mirrorless is primarily recognized with short focal lengths. Telephoto designs are likely the same for F and Z mount. We also know that Nikon's autofocus for DSLRs is currently faster than mirrorless. So I'm speculating that they countinue with Tele and super Tele in F mount. Z users can use the adapter.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 18:29:37 »
I wonder if a Z super-tele could benefit from having a larger rear element to have the light rays at 90 degree on sensor also in the corners?
Maybe a Z super-tele could also be faster if it is designed with shorter register distance?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 03:41:57 »
A larger mount could make possible telephotos with less mechanical vignetting into the corners, but I don't think this has been a serious problem with the F-mount.

I don't see how the shorter register distance would make faster super-teles possible, the flange distance is not greatly relevant for telphotos. Nikon already has fast telephotos for F-mount such as 400/2.8, 200/2 and the old AIS 300/2, I don't think there is much demand for faster (bigger, heavier, more expensive) lenses in this segment. If anything I suspect the trend is towards slower super-teles due to the improved performance at high ISOs of modern cameras - the 500/5.6PF being a good example of this.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 03:52:07 »
I don't see how the shorter register distance would make faster super-teles possible, the flange distance is not greatly relevant for telphotos. Nikon already has fast telephotos for F-mount such as 400/2.8, 200/2 and the old AIS 300/2, I don't think there is much demand for faster (bigger, heavier, more expensive) lenses in this segment. If anything I suspect the trend is towards slower super-teles due to the improved performance at high ISOs of modern cameras - the 500/5.6PF being a good example of this.

As you pointed out previously, the shorter flange back could rather be beneficial to the designs of teleconverters and focus reducers.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 06:00:55 »
Oh yes, forgot about that :o :)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 08:40:50 »
A larger mount could make possible telephotos with less mechanical vignetting into the corners, but I don't think this has been a serious problem with the F-mount.

I rather second this. In my small world of car racing competition, ML cameras remain an exception: some Fuji, very few Sony, and no Nikon Z as far as I could notice. My most used lens in 2019, was the 500mm f/5.6E PF, with over 11’000 pictures taken.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 12:24:30 »
Looking at this group shot I am wondering about the lens on the far right - is this the upcoming 200mm FL version???
D6 with 120-300mm
from left to right: 80-400, 180-400, 200-400, 800, 600, 500, 400, 300, and ???
Logically it would be the 200mm VRII (which I own) but the lens shown exhibits the updated FL design!
Wondering???

IMO the two lenses on the right are 500pf and 300pf
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 14:21:15 »
IMO the two lenses on the right are 500pf and 300pf

Frank, I don’t think so: the second from the right has a filter slot which (see the button) the 500mm hasn’t.  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 14:55:43 »
OK, my bet is that the one on far right is the 300f4 PF and third from right is the 500 f5.6 PF

https://www.downgra.de/Geek/Nikon-500mm-f56E-PF/

Handled them both when Z6 and Z7 introduced in Goa but 300 on the Z7 and 500 on D5.  Deciding if to by 300 PF or AF-P 70-300 or see what is coming.   Cash flow and arrival of Monsoon means no hurry  ;)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 15:10:04 »
The one on far right is having the cone form, the 500 PF has and the 300 PF is lacking - and the 300 PF is smaller
Wolfgang Rehm