Author Topic: Nikkor 50/1.8 Ai-S long nose!!!  (Read 3028 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Nikkor 50/1.8 Ai-S long nose!!!
« on: May 30, 2020, 17:48:49 »

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikkor 50/1.8 Ai-S long nose!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 20:19:30 »
I have had one of these for many many years. A nice, small, and trustworthy companion that never failed me.

Its only flaw is the propensity to make a tiny, yet distinct, hot spot at f/22 unless you attach a suitable lens hood.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 22:02:13 »
One more difference between the long-nose AI and AIS 50/1.8 lenses -  the AI has an aperture ring with a 3-row grip, the AIS has a narrower 2-row grip. I'm not sure why they made it narrower, the AI version has plenty of space on the barrel for the bigger aperture ring.

I prefer the AI version because the aperture ring is easier to grip, and I don't usually find the longer focus throw to be a problem :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 00:52:38 »
One more difference between the long-nose AI and AIS 50/1.8 lenses -  the AI has an aperture ring with a 3-row grip, the AIS has a narrower 2-row grip. I'm not sure why they made it narrower, the AI version has plenty of space on the barrel for the bigger aperture ring.

I prefer the AI version because the aperture ring is easier to grip, and I don't usually find the longer focus throw to be a problem :)

Another difference significant to me is the focus throw.  The shorter focus throw of the Ais standard lenses including the Micro makes me nervous when focusing with any digital cameras.  And, yes, I always prefer the Ai versions for digital cameras.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:42:35 »
i have read that some people vouch that the long nose is better optically compared to the pancake but my super simple tests reveal that the pancake performs better :o :o :o

the differences are subtle, they are nearly identical ::)

what are your experiences?

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 11:08:10 »
i have read that some people vouch that the long nose is better optically compared to the pancake but my super simple tests reveal that the pancake performs better :o :o :o

the differences are subtle, they are nearly identical ::)

what are your experiences?

I don't have the pancake but do like the "long nose". In my case the debate is between the latter and the 50mm f/2 AI that I find a tad sharper but the "Long-nose" has a better bokeh and maybe a flatter field ?

Détail... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr with a Df and at f/2.8
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:09:14 »
The long nose has better bokeh in my experience. The rendition is relatively smooth in the background, only getting a little rough towards the edges of the image. I also prefer the larger focus and aperture rings, makes the lens more pleasant to handle.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 11:15:16 »
The long nose 50/1.8 handles much better than the "pan-cake" models. That alone is sufficient to prefer it over the other versions. Its bokeh, whilst not sterling silky, tends to be smoother than the 50/2, which on the other hand is at least as sharp.

The basic message is that one cannot really go wrong with either of these 50 normals. They all have their quirks which must be learnt in order to master the lens to perfection, but basically they deliver good, sharp images all day as long as the photographer can deal with this focal length and angle of view.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 12:13:21 »
I know the 50/2 very well, it has some of the ugliest bokeh i have ever seen when given the chance to show it :o :o :o

maybe i should do more tests between the long nose and pancake