Author Topic: Nikon 20mm f2.8 AF - haze issue  (Read 4850 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon 20mm f2.8 AF - haze issue
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 16:24:23 »
Custom menu -> section F on most Nikons.

Both D300 and D8xx will support this mode.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 16:32:32 »
Wow... I bought the camera new in 2005. I never looked into the menus. There is a jungle of them LOL

Thanks all!

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 16:35:07 »
This is an interesting story. To cut it short, the lens is mine. The price went down to $40 and the offer was nearby so why not? In the worst case I'll turn it into a coffee mug.

BTW, I bought the lens without thorough checking. At home, tt turned out the seller lied :) The lens is probably fine, but the electronics malfunction. It works fine with maximum aperture number and the aperture close correctly when using shutter priority mode. The camera shows error FEE when the aperture ring is moved away from the green position.

Still, I think it was not a bad buy at all.

Cheers, 
Zang
   Remove the plastic ring from the front, then, the hood's bayonet.  To proceed any further, special tools you will need. Only if you have skills, you may continue without tools!   LZ

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 16:37:34 »
   Remove the plastic ring from the front, then, the hood's bayonet.  To proceed any further, special tools you will need. Only if you have skills, you may continue without tools!   LZ

I appreciate your hints, but hey, read all the posts. I do not think I have any issues with the lens now :)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 16:40:28 »
Just for the record, I did have a 20/2.8D with a true haze issue.  There is a glued-up internal lens pair, and the adhesive used turned hazy.  I tried getting a replacement from China but they sent the wrong part,  and since they used the correct number for the wrong part, I decided it's not worth trying to get it all straight.  My local camera repairman took a stab at re-doing it but apparently the adhesive used had a different refractive index from what one can now get, and the lens is now clear but unsharp. *

So I'm glad the OP got one that is not hazy.  It's still something to keep in mind, though, when shopping for this lens, though I'd gladly have paid 40 bucks for it too.

*repairman, unhappy with result, did not charge despite considerable work done!

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 16:44:00 »
Hey Matt, when looking through the (bad) lens, did you see the glue?

Mine looks crystal clear.

I'll take some test picture soon after my work, but it seems like you guys will not see the coffee mug.

Thanks,
Zang

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 16:55:48 »
Just for the record, I did have a 20/2.8D with a true haze issue.  There is a glued-up internal lens pair, and the adhesive used turned hazy.  I tried getting a replacement from China but they sent the wrong part,  and since they used the correct number for the wrong part, I decided it's not worth trying to get it all straight.  My local camera repairman took a stab at re-doing it but apparently the adhesive used had a different refractive index from what one can now get, and the lens is now clear but unsharp. *

So I'm glad the OP got one that is not hazy.  It's still something to keep in mind, though, when shopping for this lens, though I'd gladly have paid 40 bucks for it too.

*repairman, unhappy with result, did not charge despite considerable work done!
  By moving the aluminum coulis left or right, mm by mm, you may try to restore its sharpness, what I've done with great success.  Nobody will do it for you, because of a great time-consuming. But, if a new field of adhesive is thinner or thicker then needed, nothing will help.  LZ

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 17:07:28 »
2017-06-23 001-1-2 by lo[url=https://flic.kr/p/V51Jsa]2017-06-23 001-1-2-1 by longzoom, on Flickrngzoom[/url], on Flickr. That's an illustration to the topic. Restored myself lens, at f5.6, crop. The D810.  Not bad at all for this ancient technology. LZ

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 17:22:13 »
Look good to me :) Thanks LZ.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 17:31:18 »
I did a few non-scientific tests. You guys tell me if you see anything wrong here :)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 17:32:05 »
... and a few more:

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 17:35:26 »
Nothing is wrong, but 1 more image to infinity, wide open, and the same, at 5.6.  LZ

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 17:50:26 »
We are surrounded by trees so no infinity :) Will do some during afternoon biking.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2020, 18:10:23 »
deleted

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2020, 18:32:57 »
So to sum up.....there was no Haze issue?
The lens is optical perfect but electronics does not work and to overcome this you have set camera to treat the lens as a lens without chip.....so just as a normal AIS lens?

If the electronics made to much troubles and made the camera show "ERR" a way to avoid this was to completely cut the connection to chip. Then lens should work as a normal AIS lens without changing anything in the menus?      …...you should just not lock the aperture ring to f22?

But if you can use the lens now as a G-lens with aperture ring locked and manuel focus this is of course the best solution but that requires that some part of the electronics work?

I am a bit confused of what the fault was on the lens?