Author Topic: Nikkor-S 5cm f/2 Auto "tick-mark"  (Read 1810 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikkor-S 5cm f/2 Auto "tick-mark"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 21:00:12 »
An excellent write-up as always.

You mentioned that these early Nikkors have a lacquered finish. I once had a beautiful early Nikkor-P 10.5cm 1:2.5 lens, it was not tick-mark but it did have 9 blades (I foolishly sold it before I realized how rare it was). The curious thing was that the chrome surfaces were clearly lacquered, the finish was very smooth and shiny. It looked very luxurious.

I now have two tick-mark lenses and several other non-tick-mark lenses of similar vintage, and none have the same lacquered finish. The chrome surfaces (actually bare aluminium) are more polished than later lenses which have a matte finish, but nothing like the 10.5cm lens I had. I now think the true lacquer finish may have been a short trial, but most have a bare metal finish.

Another thing - when you disassemble lenses you often have to make little marks so you know how to align things when you put them back together. How did the factory workers know how to assemble the lenses in the first place without those marks? :o :o :)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 21:38:27 »
Nice lens......I found some more Tick-mark info here:
https://www.cameraquest.com/nftick.htm

He writes that 95% of TM-lenses has focusing scale in feet so that makes the 5cm/2 more rare...….obviously.

I only have one F-lens that is in cm and that is a 2.8cm/3.5.....which is not a TM but still very nice with matching hood and scale in m only…..which looks good.
The "chrome" (aluminium) looks shinny.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 21:46:08 »
Tick Tock Rick - Thank you!
Many of the points in the lenses do have marks already from prior to assembly, so they must have had alignment jigs to test for correct position.This can also be seen as wirings, text or marks inside on the barrel and sub assemblies.
The lenses where then put into optical benches for alignment ad adjustment, also with alignment marks clearly visible when opening them up.
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 22:46:04 »
Maybe the TM lenses was checked by the old Zeiss collimator which can be found 9 pictures down following the link below:

http://riess.fotohistoricum.dk/ni.hist.html

…..interesting Nikon history from a well known "Nikon person" here in DK. Think he can disassemble and assemble most older Nikon bodies and lenses in total darkness :-)
I remember he told that he wondered that it was allowed to take pictures in the "collimator room" (or at least no one tried to stop him) as this is normal considered a little bit sensitive in an optical factory.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 09:58:19 »
Thanks for the link, I do remember him from when DFA was Nikon agent in Denmark.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 13:04:37 »
Yes, he was at DFA (Nikon service in DK) for many years.
I had some contact via the Danish Nikon Club when it was sponsored by Nikon DK and later via a historical foto club where he is still very active in writing articles and lectures. Always very exciting.
Not everyday you meet a person which has tested the Contarex Bulls Eye at the Zeiss factory when the camera was developed. By the way…..lenses for Contarex was quite nice in built quality also….
I think when Nikon F was released it made it hard for Contarex.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 14:22:58 »
There seems to be an opportunity here for a Danish Copenhagen meet up, respecting the 2 meter distance -  ;D 8)
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 14:41:55 »
Yes, I think that could be a possibility :-)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 17:13:46 »
I am all in ;)