Gear Talk > Other

reliable hard drive back-up for IMac?

(1/5) > >>

Jack of all trades:
I have an IoSafe  for normal backup that appears to be failing. I also periodically back up on a G-Force that I keep off-premises. The IoSafe has been backing up every hour for several years. Any recommendations for a reliable replacement? Thank you.

Mike G:
For the last two years I have been using a 4GB La Cie hard drive split into two 2GB drives one as a time machine drive and one as a general HD very successfully with no problems!
I also use a small G drive to back up my photos in addition!

Fons Baerken:

--- Quote from: Mike G on March 30, 2020, 09:38:22 ---For the last two years I have been using a 4GB La Cie hard drive split into two 2GB drives one as a time machine drive and one as a general HD very successfully with no problems!
I also use a small G drive to back up my photos in addition!

--- End quote ---

Gigabyte? Maybe Terrabyte, Mike!

Luc:
Iuse (have used) several LaCie drive without problems. The one G-force I used failed so I'll stick with LaCie.

Mike; it's wise to make a separate backup of your photo's. However splitting a drive between Time Machine and general backup is a risk, if that one disk fails you lose both your Time Machine and general backup. Better use separate (multiple) disks for dedicated tasks.

Birna Rørslett:
It cannot be stressed enough that the only "reliable" hard drive is one not in use. Meaning every time the drive is spinning and reading or writing data, it can - and eventually will - crash. Bearings might dry out and lock up on non-used drives so there is always a finite life span associated with them. SSDs have no spinning parts but wear out nonetheless due to the finite number their memory cells can be rewritten.

The remedy is acting like you never trust a particular drive. Thus having several separate drives, RAID layouts, or whatnot. I have had loads of disks crashing over the years yet lost very little data and then mainly by human errors during the restore of data. The latter is hard to defend against unless you could clone yourself?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version