Author Topic: Schneideritis  (Read 2451 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Schneideritis
« on: March 25, 2020, 22:53:46 »
Think I found out the disease of my AIS 35/1.4. The white dots around the edge of lens elements is called "Schneideritis". Many links shows up on google. One link is this one:
https://richardhaw.com/2016/11/12/repair-shneideritis-edge-separation/

…..so it can be cured…..it seems….

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
Re: Schneidertitis
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:23:29 »
It really doesn't affect performance at all, as it is totally out of the light path.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:34 »
That is the good thing unless it gets very serious. I was just unsure what it was and seems to be rare on Nikkors but does happen from time to time.
It does not look good but as I am not going to sell the lens I should be ok. A CLA will probably be expensive and require they offer a repair that will cure the problem.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 14:14:48 »
My old 85/1.8 has it.  I never noticed a problem, and the only thing it ever seems to have done was to make the lens very cheap to buy.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 16:56:57 »
I wonder if a repair of this is included in a CLA if lens is sent to a "Nikon lab". The "lab" here told me that they have never seen it before and they had no fix for it. But now when I know what it is......I can ask again.
I remember I had a Zeiss Distagon 35/2.8 with QBM mount I gave away because it had developed a small amount of this "Schneidertitis"......so I never found out if is was a good lens.
The helicoid of old lenses can improve a lot if cleaned and lubricated and this requires a total disassemble and then it should be a quick job to clean and repaint the rim of the lenses. 

F2F3F6

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 19:03:36 »
Hello MEPER, hello everybody,

Schneideritis, and not "schneidertitis" ;)  is like Richard Haw explains it very well, degradation of the canada balsam (or other material) that cements 2 elements (or more) of an optic.

Why "Schneideritis" ? Because a lot of german Schneider lenses (but also other brands), large format lenses (Super Angulon, Symmar,...) or enlargement lenses (Componon, Comparon,...) have or had this "problem" that seems more annoying (appearance) than a real problem...

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Schneideritis
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 19:18:03 »
Ok.....Schneideritis…….think I have corrected.
I hope not it is the balsam between two elements...….but "only" the edge painting around a lens element to avoid reflections…….
It seems both explanations can be found on the web. I think it is only the edge painting on my Nikkor :-)