Author Topic: Nikon 300mm f/2 Lens  (Read 3229 times)

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon 300mm f/2 Lens
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 14:17:50 »
Just wanted to see a picture of my two 300 f/2s. The one to the left is in mint condition (the extra lens hood inside the front lens cap), with the dedicated Nikon Teleconverter TC-14 C and original case. The only missing part is the Instruction Manual for the lens. The one to the right is the lens only, and the one i only use when this lens product is used.
One picture taken is far better than none!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 08:40:15 »
Nice set  ;D

Thank you for sharing! If  and when possible it would be a nice lens to bring to a Nikon Gear event, I'm sure a lot of us would like to see the 300mm f/2 up close  8) 
Erik Lund

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 08:58:48 »
No problem, Erik! We keep in touch! Best wishes!
One picture taken is far better than none!

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 21:03:19 »
Thanks for the picture. Seeing two of these elusive lenses at once is a rare opportunity.

Hello! I just wanted to show you a picture made in November 2015 with the Nikon D3X and the "monster" Nikkor 300mm f/2 on a tripod. The aperture was f/4. The lens isn't easy to carry for å long time, but I have the car not far away. At that time I used the Manfrotto 058 Professional tripod with the Manfrotto Proball 469. I think this is an OK tripod/head combination to that heavy lens (only the 1200-1700 is even heavier).

Regarding the tripod support i would say - it works somehow. Used the Manfrotto 058 as my first truly usable tripod, it is designed for studio, and has got 5,5 kilograms so not easy to lug around (OK - just a few metres from the car in your case) stable enough (though not comparable to a sachtler) but somehow prone to (wind) vibrations. My first supertele (600/4) MF weighs 6,5 kilogramms  (the 300/2 is around 7) and i was having a hard time because of the ballhead i used then.

I would consider a Ballhead just as an emergency option for a (heavy) supertele (tilting issues) except the Burzynski ballhead (which is very stable but even with this head it is a nuissance to adjust).

my choice for this purpose:
#1  (by far) a fluid video head
or  #2 a gimbal (dont know if a Wimerley balances with a 300/2) or  Acratec long lens head
Wolfgang Rehm