Author Topic: Anyone gone from a D850 to Z7?  (Read 8436 times)

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: Anyone gone from a D850 to Z7?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2020, 22:55:23 »
Well one day to learn a new camera may be on the short side ;)
I agree with the complaint about user interface, I also like the Dxxx interface much better, but it is manageable. I have actually used the Z6 for sports, and it may not be as a D500, but the results where OK.

actually it was 3 hours. and that's all it took.

I need a professional build quality camera and I would say that I am hoping that the next generation of Nikon mirrorless heads in that direction

with a 10-pin connector too!
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2020, 23:33:01 »
To my knowledge of the active NG members only Birna owns a Z50 and occasionally posts about it. But lots of info can of course be found on the www.

m
My
point was that nobody here is shooting with either of those lenses.
Carl

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2020, 23:35:50 »
I got my Z50 because they sold it packaged with FTZ for a very tempting price, and I was in dire need for yet another FTZ. I didn't buy any of the DX-Z lenses as I only use the Z50 with small lenses from the rangefinder era, or other exotica.

The camera itself is cute and quite capable, although I do miss a few features. it appears to be more rugged than the equivalents in the F-mount line, though. Plus its finder is in another league altogether.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2020, 23:43:08 »
I have got a D850 (besides other SLR) and i decided to go for a Z6 instead of a Z7 which is no replacement for the D850. Had I bought a Z7 it would not be either. Electronic viewfinder ist great in low light but i prefer OVF under daylight conditions. The U1-U3 menues are a nuissance (can't assign PSAM via menu for instance) besides other interface weaknesses (such as the inability to assign switch between single and coninuous shooting to a function button and impossibility to configure the wheel full f-stops.

For supertele bird shots Z cameras AF is not competitive with D850, D4S/D5, D500 ...
Wolfgang Rehm

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 06:43:23 »

For supertele bird shots Z cameras AF is not competitive with D850, D4S/D5, D500 ...

Is there any change with the  new firmware 3.0 ?

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 10:18:15 »
I did go from the higher resolution D810 to a Z6 and I'm pretty happy with the Z6, mostly the ergonomics.

What I like
- Most of my subjects are still, so I can care less about the viewfinder lag. I like the zoom feature of the evf, I have it bound to a function button.
- Full electronic shutter works great for my studio microscopy stuff
- I don't need anything above 24MP unless there's pixel shift
- Filter stack of the Z6 is something like 0.7mm, it produces crisper images
- S-line lenses

What I don't like
- Camera seems to sharpen the raw images
- I've seen many debayering errors when shooting resolution charts
- PDAF points show up when I pull the shadows out in a drastic manner

What I don't care about
- IBIS
- Single card slot
- No functional grip
- Focus peaking

Can't elaborate on the rest. The other benefits can all be seen on a D850.

810 on top and Z6 on bottom. You can see very clear grey hazy wave patterns.
Second image is from RawDigger, you can see all the individual pixel errors.
Third at 100%, so please don't tell me it's only pixel peeping.

This was 1.0 firmware, I purchased the Z6 used. Not sure about 3.0 which I've just updated the firmware to.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 22:36:37 »
Is there any change with the  new firmware 3.0 ?

Did not actually have time to install it and of course not even testing it.

I dont assume that it will do any changes. Eye tracking wont work on birds and BTW i find 3d Tracking useless on SLR, same as using a high  number of focusing fields. For me Single choice AF field or Group AF (together with AF-ON technique) gives the best results to me.
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2020, 13:08:46 »
Did not actually have time to install it and of course not even testing it.

I dont assume that it will do any changes. Eye tracking wont work on birds and BTW i find 3d Tracking useless on SLR, same as using a high  number of focusing fields. For me Single choice AF field or Group AF (together with AF-ON technique) gives the best results to me.

Even if you don't use the subject identification and tracking, there may be autofocus improvements in FW 3.0 that affect the results of shooting moving subjects (some users report this). So it's probably worth installing the FW.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2020, 13:48:08 »
Even if you don't use the subject identification and tracking, there may be autofocus improvements in FW 3.0 that affect the results of shooting moving subjects (some users report this). So it's probably worth installing the FW.
Dont misunderstand me. I guess this Update IS useful (despite i am not expecting to transform the Z6 into the pro-SLR league AF-wise. I have downloaded it already and will install it soon. Work kept me just too busy the last weeks. Current shutdown raises the chances to find time (but not for testing).

Wolfgang Rehm

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2020, 13:49:25 »
I have both a D850 and a Z7.

I use the D850 for studio shoots and the Z7 for mobility shoots.

I don't fancy either bodies as I mainly shoot portrait/vertical orientation which is a wrist twister with the Z7 and the D850 battery pack is useless.

The Z7 was going to be binned because of the poor low light focusing. The situation changed with the latest upgrade 3.0 which seems to work better with non S lenses.

I still prefer the D4s and the D5 and of course the D3s.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2020, 15:56:15 »
the D850 battery pack is useless.

Why is it useless? I use it quite a lot and haven't noticed any problems other than once the body battery contact circuit broke and I had to get it repaired to be able to continue to use the battery in the accessory grip.

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 21:17:02 »
I don’t understand the dilemma and angst around the single card slot, in all my years of using memory cards CF, SD, and now XQD cards have I have never had a corrupt file, let alone a corrupted card! I can’t think of a single instance of needing two card slots except for playing around!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 22:24:39 »
I don’t understand the dilemma and angst around the single card slot, in all my years of using memory cards CF, SD, and now XQD cards have I a corrupt file, let alone a corrupted card! I can’t think of a single instance of needing two card slots except for playing around!

I have had two SD cards fail to be recognized by the camera (after some time of working fine) and could not get them working again, but I didn't lose any images. A third SD card showed corrupted files when I was transferring images from laptop to desktop by using it as temporary storage, but I had copies of the files elsewhere. I had corruption on a memory stick pro card on my video camera which led to loss of an important video recording at work. So quite a few cases of card failure, but only one instance of serious loss of data.

But I never lost any images or got any errors on CF or XQD cards, and I've used them far more than the others.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 00:17:13 »
I don’t understand the dilemma and angst around the single card slot, in all my years of using memory cards CF, SD, and now XQD cards have I a corrupt file, let alone a corrupted card! I can’t think of a single instance of needing two card slots except for playing around!

The only time I have benefitted from having two cards was when shooting action at multiple frames per second, and having the camera seamlessly flow from slot 1 to slot 2.  But I knew the camera would do this.  If there had been only one slot, I would have replaced the card before the need for overflow arose.
Anthony Macaulay

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2020, 09:18:00 »
I agree Anthony, I think its a perceived problem rather than actual problem!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.