Author Topic: Nikon F6  (Read 2098 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon F6
« on: February 29, 2020, 14:16:37 »
I went down to my local camera store and they had a mint condition second hand F6 and F3/T. I couldn't resist given that a friend had given me a box of about 20 expired rolls that have been sitting in my fridge for about 5 years.

I've read the manual and have set it up similar to my Df. Does anyone have any tips or any gotchas that I need to look out for? The viewfinder is so clear and so sharp - if only the DSLRs were that good

JJ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon F6
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 14:57:06 »
It is very dangerous to keep unused sets of strings, because you are tempted to buy a guitar or a bass to put them on.

Apparently, the same goes with the films.   ;D

I'm afraid I don't have any tip to offer, but hope you enjoy your state-of-the-art film camera.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 15:10:44 »
Oh NO!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 16:55:22 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Would you show a picture of the F6?  :)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 20:00:04 »
The viewfinder is so clear and so sharp - if only the DSLRs were that good

JJ

Indeed, a sore spot with me and DSLRs.  :(
Carl

ianwatson

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 07:08:38 »
Agreed. There really is no excuse. At least the F6 screens can be modified to fit quite easily.

ianwatson

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 07:10:00 »
JJ, the F100 is a delight. The F6 will be even more so. Enjoy!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 07:10:23 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 08:45:43 »
i use the F6 regularly.  :o :o :o

i set it to rewind after each roll
the AF is the trickiest part. you will have to read the documentation properly. it's the same AF as the D2H series so that one will also work. ::)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 17:40:46 »
Ian, are you responding to JJ Chan's comment?  He said his new camera has been set up to work like his Df; do you suggest that F6 screws can be easily modified to fit the Df? Is that what " At least the F6 screens can be modified to fit quite easily" means? I thought Canon screens were being used as the primary "easy" conversion, not Nikon screens.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 01:08:58 »
;D ;D ;D

Would you show a picture of the F6?  :)

Having come from FE2 to D700 then D800E then D850, using the camera was very easy and intuitive. Apart from the springier shutter (there is more slap than the gentle Df), the automatic frame advance (almost silent and immediate), one could almost forget that it was film. Except that my first roll had 12 shots only and I ran out just as a great scene appeared. Also, I am so used to Auto-ISO bailing me out that at ASA100, I was heading rapidly into 1/15, 1/30s territory at f1.4.

The camera feels solid and tighter than the similarly weighted D850 (975g vs 915g). It was nice to use AF/S glass with film but I'll wait until the roll is developed to see if this foray back to film is a nostalgia driven expensive nightmare.

ianwatson

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:59 »
Ian, are you responding to JJ Chan's comment?  I thought Canon screens were being used as the primary "easy" conversion, not Nikon screens.

No, I was responding to Carl's lament about DSLR screens. focusingscreen.com uses the Canon S screen if you want a plain one and F6 screens if you want a split prism. The F6's plain screen is easy enough to modify oneself, if you so wish. If I can put one in a D3 then anyone can  ;D

ianwatson

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 06:47:56 »
It was nice to use AF/S glass with film but I'll wait until the roll is developed to see if this foray back to film is a nostalgia driven expensive nightmare.

Developing your own black-and-white film is a lot of fun. Otherwise, digital does spoil us.

Either way, enjoy your F6!