Author Topic: Hello from Virginia, USA  (Read 1544 times)

Kino

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello from Virginia, USA
« on: January 09, 2020, 02:08:03 »
Hello to all.

Just joined this forum, which I found while searching for information on a NIkkor 28-85mm AI-S zoom lens.  Glad to find this forum and hope film-types are welcome here and not pelted with SD cards until they run away!

I never intended to become a Nikonaholic, but it happened and I have to deal with it.

Most of my gear would be considered "obsolete" by most, but I take great joy in finding and refurbishing bargain Nikons for my hobby and edification.  Sometimes I even shoot film or digital with them!

Currently (as it changes all the time) I have 2x FTns, an F2, F3, F4, 5x Nikkormats and a D200 with assorted lenses.  I also collect Voigtlander Vitessas, Ricoh 500 rangefinders, Minolta SRTs, Petri Color Super Rangerfinders and anything else that comes into range for a reasonable sum.  To keep the hobby fiscally manageable, I only purchase cameras that are "broken" or non-functional for small amounts and restore them to the best of my ability.

Keeps me off the street for the most part...

Just last week I pulled the mirror box from my F2 to clean the low speed escapement and repair the broken battery compartment;  happy to report success and now have a fully functional F2 with correct low speed that were previously frozen.

Anyway, I will be lurking;  hoping to contribute something once in a while, but mainly hoping to tap into the knowledge that resides in this gathering of Nikon owners.

Thanks,
Frank Wylie

PS:  Before (below), after here:  https://flic.kr/p/2hTDQ1f

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Hello from Virginia, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:17:25 »
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Virginian.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Kino

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 02:24:26 »
Thank you, Bill! 

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 05:30:30 »
Welcome aboard Frank  :) . From looking at the image you posted, You should find some kindred spirits here.   Very possible that you can find help when your run into a technical problem or a problem locating parts.
I am not one who will be of any help what-so-ever, just letting you know  ;) .
Enjoy
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 11:04:09 »
We do have a forum board aptly called "What the nerds do". Thus you are not alone :)

SD-cards are either lost or put to their intended use inside a digital device ... Cannot recall they ever been used as ammunition :)

Welcome to the NG site, by the way. We are broad-minded regarding what cameras we deal with. If the camera can take the picture you want, it is good enough for any of us.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:55:55 »
Welcome to NG. Your project is very interesting. Shoot whatever suits your needs   ;)

Kino

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 13:13:00 »
Thanks everyone! 

Glad to hear all formats are welcome here and hope to contribute in the future.

Frank

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 16:30:09 »
Kino is a character in one of the earliest Novels of Haruki Murakami. I remember him, because I just read "pinball 1973" .... Welcome aboard, Frank. Frank.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/