Author Topic: New sharpening tools that materially improve detail without much artifacting  (Read 3666 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Further use and testing of the PicCure+ exhibits problems. Probably it is because I am NOT getting the settings right.

Here is a section of a photo taken with the newish NOCT95 lens and that same section (or more-or-less) processed by the PicCure+. I have marked with a red arrow the section that troubles me. If you look carefully, you can see that PicCure+ modified the original so that you can see two quarter-curves that meet, thus forming a kind of pointer. Should be easy to see.

That is, IMO, not desirable.

First the original, and then the PicCUre+

Michael, Those semicircles are in the original image. They look to be the effect of brush strokes - maybe something to do with your stacking? I converted original to B&W and boosted contrast so you can see the outlines. Looks like the tool picked up on the difference in texture.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Michael, Those semicircles are in the original image. They look to be the effect of brush strokes - maybe something to do with your stacking? I converted original to B&W and boosted contrast so you can see the outlines. Looks like the tool picked up on the difference in texture.

Good eye, Jack.
Carl

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves

I see that, but I wonder why it is not accented in the original image without PicCure+?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I see that, but I wonder why it is not accented in the original image without PicCure+?

I'm not sure how piccure+ works but can imagine that a deconvolution algorithm could easily find that edge as the texture is quite different on both sides of it even if color is similar.
Deconvolution works by finding and accenting edges where there is a change between adjoining areas.
I can see the artifact clearly in the original so would expect that it would accent them in the final rendering.