Reviews > Ramblings of the Fierce Bear of the North

The 300mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Nikkor Reviewed

<< < (2/3) > >>

PedroS:
Hi Bernard,

Hands up  :D
Your sharing is great, my comment is for most not so picky people, that could think a flimsy tripod should be enough to this lens.
That's not so, at least a series 3 should be used, and for more in field work combined with a fluid head, or the totally new Zenelli.

Bjørn Rørslett:
A final point, not confined to the 300 as such:

Telephoto designs are in general not optimised for the near range and should be used at some distance in order to achieve their peak performance.

Bernard Delley:
Actually this is about 13.8 x 600mm about  8m distance for this 60mm f5.6 combo. I thought that a distance for a possible human head portrait would be a  distance to expect very high performance from almost any normal to tele lens.  I do not have a precise idea on how much falloff I should expect for such a lens toward the ends of its built in focal range.  I know from the  http://coinimaging.com/lens_tests_new.html site that in the macro range there can be quite a bit falloff in the macro range schanging the magnification ration by a factor of two.

John Koerner:

--- Quote from: Bjørn Rørslett on June 30, 2015, 23:30:13 ---A final point, not confined to the 300 as such:

Telephoto designs are in general not optimised for the near range and should be used at some distance in order to achieve their peak performance.

--- End quote ---

What about, say, for butterflies ... at 10' away?

Bjørn Rørslett:
Only actual shooting can answer that question.

Obviously, if one starts with a stellar lens, even a degraded image could well be highly acceptable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version