Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Adobe stops supporting Camera Raw for CS6

(1/3) > >>

Bjørn J:
When Adobe releases the next update of ACR for CS6, it is over. They will no longer update it with support for new cameras.
A sad day. I better start looking for alternatives. PhotoNinja is one, Raw2NEF another (so I can use the good old CaptureNX2). I still don't feel comfortable with Capture NX-D, hopefully it will improve. Capture One is good, but they will also probably implement subscription only.

Ilkka Nissilä:
While I am a CC subscriber, I feel Adobe's quality control for the installation of updates is poor and there are often problems. I think this kind of a hostage situation with customers is not good.

However, once successfully installed, PS CC has worked quite well for me. I think its design philosophy is outdated and today non-reversible changes without having to store all the layers would be preferable. With today's 36MP files, a simple crop (without deleting pixels) leads to a 400MB file. Add some other layer operations and the size increases further.  >:(

Lightroom by contrast doesn't have the sophistication I would like to see in terms of sharpening operations and local adjustments etc. I miss NX2. It was sometimes a bit buggy but it was quite elegant in its implementation of local adjustments and didn't lead to enormous files. Whatever the problems with an agreement with Google, I wish Nikon reconsidered their decision to abandon NX2.

Bjørn J:

--- Quote from: Ilkka Nissilä on July 29, 2015, 23:02:27 --- I miss NX2. It was sometimes a bit buggy but it was quite elegant in its implementation of local adjustments and didn't lead to enormous files. Whatever the problems with an agreement with Google, I wish Nikon reconsidered their decision to abandon NX2.

--- End quote ---

I don't think Nikon took the decision to abandon NX2, I think they had no choice.
But it is possible to use NX2 with a workaround. Miguel Banon has released "Raw2NEF" that can trick files from newer Nikon cameras to be read by Capture NX2 2.46 (not 2.47). http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/
I agree with you on Lightroom, I never liked it.

bobfriedman:
i purchased PS CS6.... so i feel ripped off here if this is true.

Ilkka Nissilä:

--- Quote from: Bjørn J on July 29, 2015, 23:26:08 ---I don't think Nikon took the decision to abandon NX2, I think they had no choice.

--- End quote ---

I think it may be more complex than that. I have read that Nikon owned a large part of Nik. If this is the case, why did they sell their shares to Google if it meant NX2 would be terminated? To make quick money is my guess, even if it meant customers who used it were left to hang dry.  >:(

I've tried to use Nik Google collection with PS, but it is clumsy and not as well implemented (or integrated) in my opinion; I prefer the way control points work in NX2. With PS+Nik, using control points leads to additional layers and huge files when stored. The editing steps including control points mix smoothly with other editing operations in NX2 and are fully reversable and editable, whatever order the edits are applied. Files stay small after the edits have been stored and further changes can be made later on to the full chain of editing operations.  This is how a modern image editor should work, in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version