Author Topic: Mercury passage in front of the sun November 11, 2019  (Read 3758 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: Mercury passage in front of the sun November 11, 2019
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 02:16:18 »
Weather was  horrible in Italy on Nov.11, a thick layer of clouds and rain throughout the day, I was ready but had no chance... Too bad, next time

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 03:50:20 »
I actually misspelled it, it was "Colours" by Norwegian artist Bendik Hofset.

Nice Venus capture.

Here is what the 2012 Venus entry point looked like though the "Colours" CD (hole in the middle covered, mounted on my 500mm Tokina mirror lens) :

Thank you.  I felt really lucky, because there is no chance for the whole living creatures can observe the TOV ever again...

So, the doughnut front element of the mirror lens could be neatly covered with the data area of the CD...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 05:09:57 »
Øivind and Akira,  Fun to see these transit of Venus photos from 2012.  I'm very taken with the idea of using a CD as a solar filter!  Another option is a granola bar wrapper, also made of aluminized mylar.  In Antarctica, these are recommended as the remedy in case of lost sunglasses - to avoid snow-blindness! 
In 2012 Seattle was cloudy for the transit of Venus, so I drove south to Oregon, where I watched and photographed it for several hours (first image).  I drove home as it began to cloud over, but just south of Olympia I could see that the sun would re-appear below a cloud band before setting, so I stopped on a side road to watch the show. It was better than I could have hoped for (second image).  As I watched I became aware of Mt Rainier glowing behind me, but I couldn't swing the camera away to take the third image until a moment after sunset.  All taken with a D200 and rented 600 mm f/4.  The third is stitched from two frames - I didn't have another suitable lens with me (nor would there have been time to change it).
Cheers,  John

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 07:39:50 »
What a lovely set of images in this thread! Wow  8) The stitching reminded me of the Mercury transit we photographed in Scotland
9. May 2016
Here my composite version
Mercury_small1 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 07:53:59 »
Great story and Venus transit images John, very lucky and that last sequence is something really special!
Also Mt Rainier is beautiful.

Akira, that "Colour" CD was a bit special among my choices because all the others had a clear area around the mounting hole while this one was coated all the way to the hole, maximizing the usable filter surface. And yes, it would go nicely where the button on the mirror lens was, although I might also have tried it with my 300mm. (Birna was the one who put me on the idea.) I could probably make something more creative out of the image to compensate for the lack of quality though...

Very nice and creative 2016 Mercury transit Erik, I really love the inclusion of the double exposure with the tent.
Øivind Tøien