Author Topic: Site Certificate  (Read 17923 times)

k0dlo

• NG Member
  • Nikon owner since 1969 Ftn
Site Certificate
« on: November 01, 2019, 21:43:51 »
I have been away from the site for a while. 

This had me stumped, but found my way into the portal.

Any fix?

Dennis Owings
USA

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page
Details
The hostname in the website’s security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit.
Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_SEC_CERT_CN_INVALID
Go on to the webpage (Not recommended)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Site Certificate
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 22:47:39 »
The current certificate has been issued generically to accountservergroup.com, which represents the company hosting our server.  There is a glitch in the configuration and we intend to solve that and some other issues by acquiring a new server in December. Until then, just make an exception for NG and all is fine. The site does run the https protocol.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 22:11:08 »
 The same issue for me with Iphone and ipad 
 I locked out in a way (forgot the pass) retrieve the pass from the phone and I am back

F4Jay

• NG Member
  • ^_^~
Let's Encrypt Re: Site Certificate
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 22:52:10 »
Perhaps it's an idea to apply for a free https://letsencrypt.org/ certificate for the time being - and get a new one once the server is moved?  8)
The problem with non matching certificates is that the visitor has abolutely no idea whether that certificate really belongs to your website or whether the website is hacked  :-\ and somebody tries to impersonate the site with a different certificate (which means compromised session and risk of data and privay loss  :-[ ). It was only after I found this thread that I decided to register after all as at least you claim the certifiacte is authentic - but please note you cannot claim nor guarantee that nobody else has access to the https session as it's apparently a generic certificate where the hoster as certificate owner will automatically have access to the session too! Not very wise in the 21st century, certainly not in the post Snowden era...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 23:29:20 »
I agree completely. But we have to be pragmatic here. Our esteemed boffin, Andrea, is deeply entrenched in her moving house 2000 miles across the US of A. I'm racing against time to meet the deadlines of a bunch of papers I'm committed myself to deliver (and already been paid for :( ). Thus our hands are tied at present.

What we *aim* to do is moving to a new server in December. That should solve the issues. There will be a few days' downtime, but near Christmas time most people seem to be otherwise engaged anyway.

The actual login is the only place on the site where encryption and security are essential. Everything else really doesn't require https. So stay logged in ....

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 04:28:44 »
I agree completely. But we have to be pragmatic here. Our esteemed boffin, Andrea, is deeply entrenched in her moving house 2000 miles across the US of A. I'm racing against time to meet the deadlines of a bunch of papers I'm committed myself to deliver (and already been paid for :( ). Thus our hands are tied at present.

What we *aim* to do is moving to a new server in December. That should solve the issues. There will be a few days' downtime, but near Christmas time most people seem to be otherwise engaged anyway.

The actual login is the only place on the site where encryption and security are essential. Everything else really doesn't require https. So stay logged in ....

Nice to know that, Birna.  The new "certified" sever should be a nice holiday present for us!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 22:50:10 »
never mind
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 08:10:06 »
In the near future NG will move to another, fixed, IP address and we should then be able to produce the correct certificate configuration.

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 21:59:48 »
Something got fixed because I have been unable to log on in a while. I tried 3 different browsers on a Mac - Either got a plain text (in various fonts and colors on white background) page with no actual working links (links led to error message) or was stopped before hitting the main page. Got various messages depending on browser making it sound as if the site was sacked - at least one wording was like that given above. Glad to be back!

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 22:40:10 »
Everything came to normal.
No more ''unsecure site'' warnings !

Thanks, Birna !
 :)
Francis Devrainne

Bear Dale

• NG Member
  • Big kid in the guise of an adult
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 22:55:47 »
Yay fixed !!!!!

Thank you!!!!

:) :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 23:30:32 »
My Linux boxes now run NG normally, whilst the Windows ones drag their feet. Probably wise to clear out any caches or cookies associated with NG.

I  expect the situation to improve in the near future as various cache tiers word wide expire and are refreshed.

We still might need to upgrade our server OS, but for now the security issue seems to be taken care of.

Thanks go to members and supporters alike for their patience in this matter.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 01:29:33 »
Many thanks Birna.

NG is behaving well again, I got a 404 earlier so guessed something was happening.

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 01:44:54 »
My Windows machines now run NG normally as well. Time to move on to the pile of unprocessed files floating around :)

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 22:46:11 »
Thanks
Glad things are back up and working for me  8)
Ken Smith