Author Topic: Seeking help with sharpness issue Z6  (Read 22968 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Seeking help with sharpness issue Z6
« on: October 21, 2019, 15:33:25 »
I have shot now more than 5000 photos with the Z6 and I am puzzled about its sharpness. It is a lens-independent thing. Even when I use lenses like the Zeiss 135mm, the result looks softer than D750 (in LR converted) raw files, even at higher shutter speeds. Although I am able to solve it to a large extent with a program like Topaz Sharpen AI (or use the sharpening tools in PS), I prefer to keep NEF files instead of TIFF files. Perhaps LR/Adobe Camera Raw has some problems with these files? (I also noticed a high automatic radius setting of 2 in LR ) Another explanation I could think of was that there might be an issue with the VR/IBIS system. However, I do not know how to verify that. PS: the serial number is outside  the "problem" range issued by Nikon.

Could someone please put me in the right direction to find the problem and subsequently a solution?

Thank you!
Peter

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Seeking help with sharpness issue Z6
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 15:52:09 »
Maybe upload some 100% crops of some images where the issue is clear to see, Z6 vs D750 ;)
Erik Lund

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 17:58:14 »
Are Jpegs better? Could you share one or two typical NEFs via Dropbox or so?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 19:14:45 »
...even at higher shutter speeds.

Might this be a Noise Reduction issue? At what ISO is the problem observed? Base ISO? Mid ISO(s)? If Luminosity NR is off images should be sharp at any ISO, even very high ISO(s).

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 19:54:21 »
Thank you for your help so far. I will look for some relevant examples tomorrow.
David: I use low to no NR but I will check again!
Peter

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 20:10:58 »
Perhaps LR/Adobe Camera Raw has some problems with these files? (I also noticed a high automatic radius setting of 2 in LR
I *think* that you found the issue.  A sharpening radius value of 2 usually gives a slightly low-resolution look. Change the radius to '1' or '0.7' and retest. 
IF this change is the fix, you can create a User Preset in Develop Presets and when importing from the Z6, select that User Preset in the 'Apply During Import' drop down menu.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 20:41:05 »
I *think* that you found the issue.  A sharpening radius value of 2 usually gives a slightly low-resolution look. Change the radius to '1' or '0.7' and retest. 
IF this change is the fix, you can create a User Preset in Develop Presets and when importing from the Z6, select that User Preset in the 'Apply During Import' drop down menu.

Keith, does the info causing Lr to use a base radius value that high come from the camera body or the Lr Auto selection, (which may be influenced by the particular body)?
Carl

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 20:47:15 »
The LR sharpening values with radius 2,0 are Nikon Z6 camera specific because of the strong low pass filter used in this camera.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 20:51:53 »
The LR sharpening values with radius 2,0 are Nikon Z6 camera specific because of the strong low pass filter used in this camera.
So, the low pass filter of the Z6 is ‘stronger’ than the D750 filter?
Peter

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 21:02:51 »
Apparently yes, Peter.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 21:39:16 »
I had sharp issues once because I was using an ai-s lens (35mm in this specific case) with the ibis on but the wrong lens was input in the camera. I think the difference in focal length confuses the camera compensation. Do you think it can be happening to you?
 Also, I need tho ad a cpu to my lens... ::)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 01:18:53 »
During the last summer, I messed up a large amount of pictures with my Z6. After many checks, I found out the culprit : (it was me actually) :

The ''Disp'' command was on Video mode instead camera mode... ::)

I had tried the video mode long time ago and I am sure I had switched the command back to ''camera''. So, I might have done it inadvertently ?

The result was a lack of resolution on all this pictures until I found the issue !

Once I changed the ''Disp'' button on ''camera'', everything went back to normal... :)

BTW, I didn't see any warning notice displayed on any screen.

Francis Devrainne

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 04:26:27 »
Keith, does the info causing Lr to use a base radius value that high come from the camera body or the Lr Auto selection, (which may be influenced by the particular body)?
IMO, I think Adobe selects a value for each camera and that's it. It is possible, of course, that Adobe could change the base conversion parameters later, in a software update.
Whether or not they have any input from Nikon, I don't know. 
I've always considered the default Adobe settings to be a rough starting point, nothing more.  The Adobe raw conversion is consistent, in a way---it makes every camera's raw files look equally flat and dull.
Sort of a universal starting point.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 04:54:26 »

The ''Disp'' command was on Video mode instead camera mode... ::)...

...The result was a lack of resolution on all this pictures until I found the issue !

Something like this could do it.  I've made that goof when in live view on the D800.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 06:43:44 »
IMO, I think Adobe selects a value for each camera and that's it. It is possible, of course, that Adobe could change the base conversion parameters later, in a software update.
Whether or not they have any input from Nikon, I don't know. 
I've always considered the default Adobe settings to be a rough starting point, nothing more.  The Adobe raw conversion is consistent, in a way---it makes every camera's raw files look equally flat and dull.
Sort of a universal starting point.
That's one of the reasons I've switched to Capture One. The RAW conversion starting point with C1 is better suited to the majority of my images which are bright and vivid.