Author Topic: Close-up with a Great Blue Heron  (Read 480 times)

Gil Aegerter

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Close-up with a Great Blue Heron
« on: May 31, 2024, 23:16:10 »
I went down to the lake to photograph beavers last week and stopped to talk to a fisherman. While we were chatting, a huge great blue heron stepped out of the reeds behind him. When it saw us, it moonwalked back into the reeds, but from the chatter of two redwing blackbirds above, I knew the heron was still there, probably looking for the blackbirds' nest. So I edged over to where I had seen it, and there it was, about 8 feet away, the close limit of my lens! I got a few shots as the blackbirds pestered it and it squawked, and then it flew off -- with one of the blackbirds riding on its back! Unfortch, I didn't get that!

Nikkor 200-500m f5.6E, Nikon D5500.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Close-up with a Great Blue Heron
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 23:21:03 »
I went down to the lake to photograph beavers last week and stopped to talk to a fisherman. While we were chatting, a huge great blue heron stepped out of the reeds behind him. When it saw us, it moonwalked back into the reeds, but from the chatter of two redwing blackbirds above, I knew the heron was still there, probably looking for the blackbirds' nest. So I edged over to where I had seen it, and there it was, about 8 feet away, the close limit of my lens! I got a few shots as the blackbirds pestered it and it squawked, and then it flew off -- with one of the blackbirds riding on its back! Unfortch, I didn't get that!

Nikkor 200-500m f5.6E, Nikon D5500.
Great story and picture :)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Close-up with a Great Blue Heron
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2024, 03:03:16 »
Øivind Tøien

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures