Author Topic: The dim red LED flashlight project continued  (Read 14919 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: The dim red LED flashlight project continued
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 15:20:13 »
Back in the good old film-days, F3, F4 and F5 aperture information was relayed through Nikon's "ADR" (Aperture Direct Readout) which was a window at the top center of the viewfinder that got its information from a micro-prism that read the small numbers at the top of the mounted lens AI and Ais lenses aperture numbers.If I recall correctly it was on/off illuminated on F5,,,

Nikon offered DL-1 for F2: a small illuminator that could be attached to the prism finder and lit the exposure meter.

I wasn't aware that F5 had the function to llluminate the aperture index of the Ais lens.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 15:27:01 »
I can check it when I get home from work ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 21:55:27 »
Only ambient light in the DAR on F5
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 07:46:28 »
Back in the good old film-days, F3, F4 and F5 aperture information was relayed through Nikon's "ADR" (Aperture Direct Readout) which was a window at the top center of the viewfinder that got its information from a micro-prism that read the small numbers at the top of the mounted lens AI and Ais lenses aperture numbers.If I recall correctly it was on/off illuminated on F5,,,

Only ambient light in the DAR on F5

It is illuminated on the F4, provided that the switch on the front of the shutter speed dial is turned on:
Øivind Tøien

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:54 »
It is illuminated on the F4, provided that the switch on the front of the shutter speed dial is turned on:

*drool*
-Tristin

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 10:37:21 »

Wow!  (But not red...  :D )

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 10:53:03 »
Wow!  (But not red...  :D )
No and it will likely not reach the distance scale. Yours is better, well done!  :D
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 11:25:23 »
Ahh yes of course the F4  ;D Thanks!!! I mixed them up apparently, I also thought Nikon would have used it on F5 as well, but ok,,, new model is not always better  :o F6 didn't even have DAR,,,Yes,  replace the led  for a red one in the F4, would be nice hack  8)
BTW the focus motor for AF and AF-D lenses in the F5 is brutal, instant full power turning the screwdriver motor  :o both in AF-C and S,,, I would almost call it violent  :o
It's quite clear the later cameras have a much more sophisticated Af motor control with subtle speed control of the motor apparently slowing down for nailing focus, testing it against the D850 which is not slow just very different.
The F5 only slow down if the light is dim or target unclear,,, same does D850

Makes me want to buy some rolls of film and run through it to reexperience the F5 again, I recall it was almost impossible to make a bad exposure with F5, even with flash outdoors.
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 11:40:02 »
No and it will likely not reach the distance scale. Yours is better, well done!  :D

Thank you!  :)

BTW the focus motor for AF and AF-D lenses in the F5 is brutal, instant full power turning the screwdriver motor  :o both in AF-C and S,,, I would almost call it violent  :o

I remember trying F5 at a Nikon show room in Shinjuku, half-pressed the shutter button with my finger inadvertently touched the focus ring of AF-D 50/1.4.  Sure enough, the camera suddenly jumped on my hands and I was about to drop the combo!   :o :o :o  I realized the power of its AF motor was scary!