Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3718 times)

Cuco de Frutos

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • www.cucodefrutos.com
Hello
« on: October 09, 2019, 23:56:17 »
Hello everybody! I´m Cuco de Frutos.
It´s a pleasure to share photos with you.
I´m from the South of Spain, base between New York and Madrid.

my best friend Nikon D850, thinking about change her for the Z7...

Thanks

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 00:07:32 »
Welcome Cuco!  I look forward to seeing your images!

Regarding your D850, I would only switch to Z7 if you shoot manual lenses a lot.  The current Z's do not match current DSLR IQ yet having introduced noise banding, effectively lowering their usable dynamic range.  I swapped my D750 for a Z6 and it is only an upgrade in terms of manual lens use, IQ overall is a step back.
-Tristin

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 14:57:58 »
Hello Cuco, welcome!
 Also looking forward to your contributions!
  I don't know about the Z7 but the Z6 does not feel like a step back in IQ from the d750? Interesting. If anything I have gaing a bit in  high ISO and af accuracy (single). Completely agree about the manual focus.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 18:36:53 »
Welcome Cuco !!

The current Z's do not match current DSLR IQ yet having introduced noise banding, effectively lowering their usable dynamic range.  I swapped my D750 for a Z6 and it is only an upgrade in terms of manual lens use, IQ overall is a step back.
Please define IQ. 

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 18:39:34 »
I don't know about the Z7 but the Z6 does not feel like a step back in IQ from the d750? Interesting.

OT, the D750 got me settled into the habit of single image HDR with it's incredible shadow retention.  I quickly found out the Z6 is more limited here as patterned noise comes with the shadows, so no more single image HDR.  I personally can't stand banding.  I will be posting a review of the Z6 in the future that goes over this.  Shadow banding aside, the Z6 does retain color much better at higher ISOs.

Please define IQ. 

I mean IQ across all types of use in this case.  The only areas I have seen noticeable difference between D750/Z6 is the Z6 has better color at higher ISO, but introduces noise banding in shadows.  Colors can be improved in PP, but noise banding is simply a killer.  So, all things considered, I prefer D750 IQ.
-Tristin

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 18:49:06 »
OT, the D750 got me settled into the habit of single image HDR with it's incredible shadow retention.  I quickly found out the Z6 is more limited here as patterned noise comes with the shadows, so no more single image HDR.  I personally can't stand banding.  I will be posting a review of the Z6 in the future that goes over this.  Shadow banding aside, the Z6 does retain color much better at higher ISOs.

I mean IQ across all types of use in this case.  The only areas I have seen noticeable difference between D750/Z6 is the Z6 has better color at higher ISO, but introduces noise banding in shadows.  Colors can be improved in PP, but noise banding is simply a killer.  So, all things considered, I prefer D750 IQ.
Under what circumstances do you encounter the noise banding.  I haven't seen it yet (but my use of the Z6  may be  completely different). That is the reason I am suprised by your remarks. I do agree with the colours and the very low noise. And the ease with manual lenses. 

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 18:50:28 »
Under what circumstances do you encounter the noise banding.  I haven't seen it yet (but my use of the Z6  may be  completely different). That is the reason I am suprised by your remarks. I do agree with the colours and the very low noise. And the ease with manual lenses.

I will do a full post on it soon, don't want to continue hijacking Cuco's introduction thread.
-Tristin

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 18:51:34 »
I will do a full post on it soon, don't want to continue hijacking Cuco's introduction thread.
Understood, thanks  Agree :)

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 19:58:10 »
Welcome, Cuco. I do hope you will have an enjoyable time here. I am looking forward to seeing your photos and curious to learn why you consider switching from D850 to Z7!
Peter