Author Topic: Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50  (Read 17893 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 23:58:11 »
I still am awaiting a Z model that can deliver perfect results for UV/IR. Or software that can handle the issues with current models.

Maybe, like the D40, the Z50 will turn up trumps.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 08:18:26 »
I think the camera appears very functional and appealing. No need to put on the mundane DX lenses if alternatives exist. A "pancake" Nikkor in Z livery would suit it just fine.

Perhaps I should pre-order a Z50, just for fun.

I agree, and I'm also thinking of pre-ordering one.

I actually think Nikon's advertising for the Z50 is a bit misleading, as it implies the camera is mainly aimed at the Instagram and selfie crowd and people switching from their phones to a real camera. However, there are many features I find appealing, like both front and back wheels and two function buttons (although it's not clear if they're crippled) plus (reasonable) weather proofing. These are features that are clearly aimed at "more advanced" photographers. Full compatibility with the FTZ adapter means I'll be able to use my old manual Nikkor primes. Alright, no EXIF data, but that's something I can live with.

What I need to know before ordering is the size of the buffer though. That's curiously missing yet. 20 or more RAWs and I'm good to go. There are only two things I don't really like: Yet another new battery, and the camera doesn't have USB-C. Not worried about the lack of IBIS, I don't really need it. For me it's more of a "nice-to-have" rather than a "must-have".

Hermann

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 02:01:24 »
... I'm not impressed by the looks of the lens and camera....

looks like the grown up sister of nikon1 v2
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 02:07:48 »
I think a joystick is essential for a camera with hundreds of AF points.  It is a big mistake for Canon to omit joysticks to EOS R/RP.
with the fuji xt3 I'm getting good at selecting the focus point with my nose , and/or change the settings  ;D

but if I want to be precise I can use the joystick and disable the touch functions

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2019, 06:57:53 »
What I need to know before ordering is the size of the buffer though. That's curiously missing yet. 20 or more RAWs and I'm good to go.

Found it: https://gwegner.de/review/nikon-z-50/ 29 frames in 14-bit RAW sounds good.

I'm going to wait for the first few reviews of production cameras though, I want to know a bit more on how the AF works with "moving objects", since I'll be using the camera for wildlife.

Hermann