Author Topic: F to E mount Adapters RE: Ai Aperture, also E to Z  (Read 5036 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: F to E mount Adapters RE: Ai Aperture, also E to Z
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 15:02:10 »
Well they can and they do. 

What they cannot do is record the actual aperture used and you must focus and set the shot up at the working aperture and not with the lens fully open (or in practice at least opened up to f/5.6).
Record is possible if you assign the focal length with the used aperture to a non-CPU-lens possibility.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 15:11:24 »
What you say is true, but at the expense of not recording in the EXIF data things like the maximum aperture f stop number which lessens the ease of identifying a particular lens if you have more than one of the same focal length.  Still better than nothing.

Record is possible if you assign the focal length with the used aperture to a non-CPU-lens possibility.
Hugh Gunn

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 15:20:18 »
Yes, you have to take notice which lens you use (but that also applies for the Nikon F-system if you have several lenses with the same max. aperture) .  Important is that you can register the used aperture if you want.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: F to E mount Adapters RE: Ai Aperature
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 06:58:27 »
Decided to add UWA to my arsenal because I will be spending November in Poland and want to shoot plenty of cathedrals.  Settled on the Laowa 12/2.8 and honestly just really like the idea of having an affordable tilt lens, as Laowa offers a converter which adds tilt.  12/2.8 + 17/4 Tilt for $1250 is pretty stellar.  IS/Peaking always looked nice too, being that my normal use lenses are 50/1.2 and 105/1.8.  Really not a fan of EVFs at all, or Sony, but also can not afford Nikon's TS options. A7rIII/A7III/Z6 are out of my budget in the months preceding my trip, was hoping to sell my D750 and drop a few hundred to swap.  D750's resolution/capabilities are enough for my needs and, aside from candids of friends/family, I only shoot still scenes and don't own any AF lenses.

P.S.  Tried the Irix 11/4 first.  Avoid!  Strong frame-wide CA along with poor edges made images look, as my wife put it, "barfy".   I did find out I enjoy UWA though.
Tristin, I did do a bit of clicking to find some info on your 12 f2.8 with the converter.  Seems you cannot use the 'shift' converter (does not appear to be a tilt/shift) with a Sony mount  Laowa 12 f2.8, only Nikon F or Canon.   If that is the case the Z6 and FTZ would allow you to use the lens only.   You've already had links for Sony E to Nikon Z.   Bottom line, for me, is that the Sony a7iii only beats the Z6 in Auto Focus and since you do not really worry about AF, the Z6 would be my choice.    The Z6 kit would give you the 24-70 S for your family shooting.
Best of luck  :)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 09:32:51 »
Fortunately there is an E to Z adapter, so I can use the Laowa F mount onto the MSC onto the E to Z mount.  I have no interest in zooms or AF lenses, and 24 is not hardly wide enough for what I want.

I went to a shop today and gave the A7's and Z6 a whirl.  The A7rII was honestly not sluggish at all for how I shoot, but the ergonomics was shockingly bad.  I assumed it was going to be poor, being Sony, but wow.  They really outdid themselves.  Looks like I will be going Z6.  Lovely Nikon ergonomics as usual.  You can tell which camera was made by electrical engineers and which was made by photographers.
-Tristin

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 10:51:55 »
selling my a7 :o :o :o

happy with the Z6 ::)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 12:02:46 »
  I have no interest in zooms or AF lenses, and 24 is not hardly wide enough for what I want.

That was understood.   My wife has never used one of my many MF lenses ,  my son does use a couple  :) .  They both prefer zoom lenses and I rarely use zooms.

Looks like I will be going Z6.

Enjoy
Cheers,
Tom Hardin, Goa, India