Author Topic: Nikon (and Canon) since the Nikon F and Canon F1 - Illustrated Timeline  (Read 1963 times)

chambeshi

A poignant read as the release of the D6 and rumours of new Nikon Z cameras, plus new Nikkor lenses, it is interesting to look back at the history of Nikon and its earlier relationship to Canon. Embracing existing technology, by leapfrogging.

They were also bold changes to start a new system: Canon designed its new AF that discarded the FD Mount. Last year Nikon introduced the Z-Mount but with the difference of maintaining functionality with the F-Mount optical system (well with noted exceptions).

https://medium.learningbyshipping.com/nikon-versus-canon-a-story-of-technology-change-45777098038c

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Nikon (and Canon) since the Nikon F and Canon F1 - Illustrated Timeline
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 17:32:11 »
Thanks for posting it.
I'm too a Nikon user since the 70's and sad to see it happening.
Curious, I've posted some questions about Nikon decadence here some time ago and a guy seemed not to like it, and even asked if I was making up some facts (nice, isn't it?).
I like Nikon a lot, but let's face it, they have to change this game. I hope it happens soon even because of the Tokyo olympics.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 21:58:28 »
Interesting assembling in this article, thanks. I think today Nikon might be more endangered than it ever was, and it is suffering from losing this pro position, though the D3 brought Nikon back to some extent.

Minolta was the leading AF-company first, with Screwdriver AF, Canons EOS did a longer time to start thei had troubles with the Ultrasonic lenses, Nikon tried to combine both worlds, but completely sucked when it came to fast in-lens AF motors, everyone was waiting for  Ultrasonic motors and with a lot of delay NIkom came with the AFI-I design first (IIRC due to patent problems) and precious time was wasted until AF-S level was reached. Although Nikon invenrted VR Canon was faster and while Canon already had a complete Supertele line with VR nikon still only came up with the first 80--400 (with screwdriver AF). This list could be made longer.

That was the pro story. Whereas in recent days there was the "Big 2" story with Canon#1 and Nikon #2 it is easy to overlook that in the 1980s Nikon was leading the Pro sector but Canon and MInolta reigning the consumer market with Nikon sales coming behind.
Wolfgang Rehm

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 01:07:10 »
The article seemed to be factual.  Interesting point that Nikon "invented" or first marketed AF and digital, but Canon took the PJ/Sports market eventually by having better AF ready to go at the first mass adoption of digital. 
Since the entities we know as Canon, Nikon, etc are businesses as well as houses of invention, this recent short article by T. Hogan might be of interest.
http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-2019-news/september-2019-nikon-canon/2019-starts-badly.html
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA