Author Topic: Intervew to Grays of Westminster  (Read 2518 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Intervew to Grays of Westminster
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:56:27 »
Matt Granger, a fairly famous YouTuber, just posted an interesting interview to Mr. Gray Levett, the owner of the reputed Nikon specialty shop in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk11XuRGrVw

This may not be that new or interesting for the folks who have easy access to the shop, but having Mr. Levett talk about his carrier and the history of the shop is quite intriguing.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Intervew to Grays of Westminster
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:20:28 »
Thank you for the link.

1- I stopped watching half way through when Gray made the preposterous claim of taking credit for the promotion of Jethro Tull in London as well as Fleetwood Mac....etc

2- Loved how Matt Granger was slouched in his chair and Gray pompously towering on his throne.

3- Which brings me to the technical qualities of the video. Matt Granger should enroll in a Video course as his credibility is going out of the window.
To have different colour temp between wide shots and medium shots shows the total elementary failure of producing a video while shooting and worse while editing for colour balance and temp.

Enjoy
Thick as a brick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hnVeq9FTg

chambeshi

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 11:12:04 »
Matt Granger, a fairly famous YouTuber, just posted an interesting interview to Mr. Gray Levett, the owner of the reputed Nikon specialty shop in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk11XuRGrVw

This may not be that new or interesting for the folks who have easy access to the shop, but having Mr. Levett talk about his carrier and the history of the shop is quite intriguing.
Thanks for posting. I gave up on this character's utube [ie Granger's] years ago. This is an exception. Although the music history gets wearying, this interview has better coverage and context then the video he put out 3 years back, which was mostly Gray droning about the coat-of-arms. The history of GoW is told in the book, but it keeps getting retold in the editorial columns of the Nikon Owners Magazine, which Gray edits. It would be nice if he covered key Nikon topics of the day or rather year (and yesterday) in more depth.

Interesting information about the film revival, also background to Goto-san on the F3 thru to F6, and the Df.
GoW is always worth the visit and their service is excellent. And I can vouch for their most knowledgeable staff, notably Becky who is also a talented artist.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:50:38 »
To make a religious statement, Sir Grey of Westminster is a real fag, a judgment on my side, ... colourful. ;D

chambeshi

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 13:44:38 »
To make a religious statement, Sir Grey of Westminster is a real fag, a judgment on my side, ... colourful. ;D

This would read differently in regional variants of English (or rather translate) ! Some older meanings of "a real fag" are slighting, belittling, even derogatory  ;D Not sure how it is cast in this context  ;)

I would say Gray is what we term an old school gentleman, a term still used - and affectionately - by older citizens with english as their first language: often in the country counties of the UK, and former colonies of the southern hemisphere. This manner underlies the service ethic of GoW. It makes a big difference. He is quite clear he learnt from fine mentors in the camera trade, who made sure their sales staff knew the products they were selling, and the shop's stock was well presented. These shops were a place to learn and also "gloat", especially as teenagers and students who couldn't afford the gear, Nikon especially !!

Such old world service is too often the exception these days (at least in anglophone shops) but some sales managers in the branches of London Camera Exchange started many years ago. These are the branches in Strand Street, London and their original shop in Guildford. Kind and helpful and willing to "make a plan@ and chase up orders etc.
LCE also hold a decent stock of interested Used items, including good diversity of Nikon. But GoW is unique. Fforbes Photographic in Scotland and West Yorkshire Cameras, Leeds, have good stocks of Used gear, notably Nikon. But I've yet to visit. Unfortunately, Fox Talbot shut its doors forever, years ago, but Aperture Photographic is in the same neighbourhood (Soho) and my firm favourite among all.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 14:41:40 »
Grays of Westminster is my favorite Nikon store and I very much like to visit their shop when I am in London. I really like the magazine Nikon Owner as well, high print quality, interesting reviews and interesting stories with images.  Grays have an extraordinary second hand department.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 10:52:56 »
Thank you, guys, for comments.  Glad you enjoyed the video.

I've never had a chance to go to London, but this shop can be a must-visit.

Ethan, I also enjoyed the part where Mr. Gray was talking about Jethro Tull and Freetwood Mac.  Good old days...

Woody, I aslo felt Matt Granger's posts have been hit and miss, but this was exceptionally interesting.  :D

Fons, thank you for your religious comment.  :D

Ilkka, I envy you.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 13:46:30 »
Thank you for the link
2- Loved how Matt Granger was slouched in his chair and Gray pompously towering on his throne.

Show me how you eat and sit, and I will tell you who you are...  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 16:01:55 »
Indeed a interesting person, even though one doesn't share all of his views!
I also always visit the store whenever I'm in London  8) It's also the first shop where I saw the 6mm f/2.8 was standing in the basement in a tripod, very cool.
I also enjoy the Nikon Owners Magasine. And yes very good service ;) 
Erik Lund