Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR Lens announced, with the D6.

(1/12) > >>

Macro_Cosmos:
So what exactly is SR? Super resolution? Super refractive?
Your guess is as good as mine...

What we can expect is another zoom lens that performs like a prime, which comes with a hefty pricetag. It's probably the dream lens for low light sports and wildlife photography, or maybe it's a bit too short for wildlife? Really looking forward to this lens although I cannot afford one.

Erik Lund:
Wow, it has been a long wait for that focal length range zoom and fixed f/2.8

Sure it will be expensive  8)  Start saving  ;) 
Front zoom ring,,, Omg  :-X  there will be opinions shared  ;D

Jan Anne:
Used to have a couple of Sigma 120-300/2.8, the AF wasn't very usable and the optics were so so but the 120-300 range was very usable and due to the fast aperture worked great with extenders. Bring an FX and DX body and you're set for most of the tele work out there with a single lens.

chambeshi:
In celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Nikon F mount  And who predicted no more new F-Nikkors?     

As the short official blurb says, this is aimed at sports genres. However with TC14 III, it should be versatile for wildlife, but limited for smaller birds at some distance

The current 300 f2.8G VRII weighs 2.9kg. The fluorite should trim down this 120-300 Nikkor closer to 2 kg (?)

This new fast "exotic" medium telephoto zoom means it is now unlikely that Nikon will update the fast 300 prime to a f2.8E FL. Similar uncertainty hangs over the future of the legendary 200 f2. It's hard to justify the release of a fluorite upgrade (Unless perhaps Nikon do this in a Z-Mount model). And in this case trimming off VR should shed it of a pound, or so, of mass.

The 200 f2 is a great niche prime for indoor sports and portraits. Lowlight ISO on the top-end Nikon action cameras has become really excellent; so the extra stop of a 200 f2 is really for DoF.... But, this depends IF the 120-300 f2.8 has great bokeh (which is likely), who will pay out for another heavy fast prime? The release of this encompassing zoom has interesting implications for the future values of the current fast primes in 200 and 300 F-Mount. A Used 200 f2 is hard to find, but 300 f2.8 is far more common by comparison in used inventories.

Here is the official Nikon link: https://www.nikon.com/news/2019/0904_dslr_01.htm

tommiejeep:

--- Quote from: Jan Anne on September 04, 2019, 09:23:51 ---Used to have a couple of Sigma 120-300/2.8, the AF wasn't very usable and the optics were so so but the 120-300 range was very usable and due to the fast aperture worked great with extenders. Bring an FX and DX body and you're set for most of the tele work out there with a single lens.

--- End quote ---
JA, I used the Sigma ( a friend's) for a couple of Soccer matches thinking I could have a single lens/body solution but 120mm was too long so I still had to use a second body with 70-200 f2.8.   I did not find the AF too bad on the D300S and D3S.  At one point I could have bought new Sig. 120-300 f2.8 and 500 f4.5 for less than the Nikon 300 2.8 G vr.   If this lens is lighter it wold really have suited me but now I am thinking 300 f4E , age  ;) .
Some really nice lenses for Wildlife shooters these days, this is the first one aimed at sports.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version