Author Topic: Two more saved frm the flames  (Read 28844 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Two more saved frm the flames
« on: August 19, 2019, 18:19:15 »
I decided to re-edit all my Himalayan material before burning everything which was edited OUT. This turns out to have been a good decision.

Two images of  Ama Dablam and the peaks along the east side of the Khumbu (Everest) valley.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Two more saved frm the flames
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 18:24:37 »
Surprisingly, almost no clouds ! 8) It would have been a shame to cull those two... ;)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 20:24:53 »
The moral of the story is, do not cull too vigorously.   One's appreciation of an image can change, as can the possibility of making something beautiful out of it.

Fortunately storage space is inexpensive.
Anthony Macaulay

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 22:09:43 »
The moral of the story is, do not cull too vigorously.   One's appreciation of an image can change, as can the possibility of making something beautiful out of it.

Fortunately storage space is inexpensive.

+1
Thomas Stellwag

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 23:17:31 »
Very nice, and thanks for sharing!

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 23:30:04 »
Awesome pictures!
I may be wrong but I can’t see Ama Dablan. Maybe it is a very different perspective.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 23:51:50 »
Carl

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 00:12:13 »
Thanks for all the kind (and sensible) comments. I'll take things a little slower.

Awesome pictures!
I may be wrong but I can’t see Ama Dablan. Maybe it is a very different perspective.
Thanks, Aguinaldo, and also you are right about the differerent perspective. I was trying to climb Lobuche Peak which is across the valley from Ama Dablam, so when I took these shots I was west and a little north from A.D. and the mountain looks very different - the famous shape with the two distinct shoulders and the very steep central hump changes completely from the new viewpoint. I didn't reach the summit of Lobuche, btw, but I reached around 5900m. It would have been the second only ascent (this was in 1979). Nowadays it's a trekking peak.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:23:37 »
Wow David, You climbed to the the right spot to reach the was blessed with that amazing light and captured the scene perfectly, it's just so amazing!
Thanks
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:27 »
Dave, are these shot with Pentax 6x7?  Would look even more awesome as a big print!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 10:29:04 »
Big thanks to Thomas, Bill, Carl, Erik and Akira

Wow David, You climbed to the the right spot to reach the was blessed with that amazing light and captured the scene perfectly, it's just so amazing!
Thanks
I'm glad you like these, Erik.

Dave, are these shot with Pentax 6x7?  Would look even more awesome as a big print!
Akira - no, they were shot with Nikon equioment and Kodachrome 64 film. However, they do make very nice 56cm prints. Pentax 67 equipment would be much too heavy to take while mountaineering, especially at high alititudes. I have used 6x7, 6x17 and 12x9 during the trekking phases of various expeditions to the Himalayas, but always 35m while climbing.