The NikonGear Office > Site Issues

Password Security Reminder

(1/5) > >>

Andrea B.:
Letting your browser save passwords is not considered secure.

Look for an app called a password safe, manager or vault. Install it, learn how to use it and keep your login passwords there.

For general info about storing passwords, read this: Password Manager.

As a particular example, you might want to read about 1Password, a free version of which I use on my MacBook.  [I have *no* affiliation with Agile Bits.]

There are lots more choices for this kind of app. List of Password Managers. Use of a password manager also permits creation of complex, unhackable passwords.

I'll add this two bits, FWIW. It's probably best not to use a cloud based password manager. Clouds have been known to disappear. There are hacks everyday of online data banks. But on the matter of clouds, YMMV.  ;)

Should I mention backups here? Nah!
I'm sure everyone would know that their password manager requires a backup.
 8)

Anthony:
I use Apple Keychain.  Are you aware of any issues with this?

CS:

--- Quote from: Anthony on August 10, 2019, 19:57:54 ---I use Apple Keychain.  Are you aware of any issues with this?

--- End quote ---

I've been using 1Password, the paid versions, for 12 years, and I highly recommend it over Apple Keychain.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3060630/why-not-pick-keychain-instead-of-1password-or-lastpass.html

Andrea B.:
Anthony, password security is not my area! So I don't know what password manager apps might be considered vulnerable, or not, across the various platforms. I only know about the particular one I happen to use.  :)

Hugh_3170:
Anthea, a timely reminder.  Thanks.

Do you know off hand what the rules for the NG password are, including its minimum and maximum lengths, allowable characters, its  UC and LC alpha requirements, and the minimum numbers of each character type that are required etc?

TIA.

EDIT:

I see that the NG site says:

Choose password
For best security, you should use eight or more characters with a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.

New Question:  is 8 characters on the short side and should there be rules about the minimum numbers of upper and lower case alphabetic characters and numbers of special characters??  Maybe also an enforced update period?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version